Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RE: camshaft trouble

Greetings All,

I have a set of cams marked 65-2446, which I see were identified in BSA literature as suitable for use in a DB32 for "scrambles" application.

The stock cams used in the WD M20 appear to quickly open and close the valves with little duration or overlap, while the 65-2446 cam has a much smaller base circle and flatter lobe profile which I assume would mean the valves are open longer, and have more overlap....

Since my WM sees a fair amount of full throttle operation to maintain road speeds in traffic, I am installing an M21 crankshaft and slightly higher gearing. With the larger displacement, is there any real benefit to installing the 65-2446 cams? Or, conversely what might be the drawbacks...?

JDE

email (option): teladelujo@ msn.com

The cams will work ok, you will lose a little torque at low RPM.
Increased overlap will tend to blow fuel back out of carb.
A longish ram tube may be useful for re-cycling the blow back.

Be aware that the factory cam data only applies to OHV crankcases.

OHV cam followers converge, SV cam followers are perpendicular, hence slightly different timing.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Just for fun, I have a diagram comparing these cams (STD & scrambles) at

http://www.petercomley.com/Standard%20vs%20Scrambles%202446%20both.htm

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Large degrees of valve 'overlap' rely on higher gas speeds to function correctly..In other words they are more suited to higher revving engines with high gas speeds in the ports etc., and work best in those as the revs rise.
Greater cam lift, duration and overlap potentially provide for better cylinder filling and increased power but the limitations in other areas of the M21s design pretty much cancel that out and you will get some 'blowback' in the carb. 65-2448 (in) and 65-2450 (ex) would be a more suitable combination and I used these to some advantage in one of my oversize M20s which also had moderate crank lightening and porting carried out...
I found the scrambles cams were too much for a standard spec. sidevalve....The good thing though is you now have an excuse to go out and buy a B33 which will work very well on them...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Got that one as well....sad innit!? One day I'll get a life

photo StandardvsTouring2448amp2450medium_zps9a4acc5e.jpg

Excellent feedback all...!

Very good points not to be overlooked, on the basic differences between a higher revving and better breathing OHV and the M "tractor" series.

It seems the consensus is no real gain to be had, so I will go back together with the std M cam shafts.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, your collective wisdom is invaluable.

Best Regards,

JDE

Pete C
Just for fun, I have a diagram comparing these cams (STD & scrambles) at

http://www.petercomley.com/Standard%20vs%20Scrambles%202446%20both.htm

Cheers
Pete

Very interesting to see the comparison.

Thanks for sharing.

JDE

Hi Peter..That chart shows 'standard' and 'touring' cams...Ian

Or should I say, it doesn't, if you use the link.. ..Ian

Hi Ian

Does the link not work? Have I got any of the timing data wrong?

Although I’m not 100% sure what you mean. The link in my first post should lead to the comparison of standard and scrambles cams (65-2446) while the diagram in the second is supposed to be in response to your post recommending the touring combination of 65-2448 (in) and 65-2450 (ex).

It’s overcast here and I’m praying for it to clear up so I can get back out and run in the bike!!

Cheers
Pete

Hi Pete..No, it's just me having a senior moment, not reading the posts correctly, and getting my 'wires crossed'...All your posts are as you intended. They are good charts actually, very easy to make the comparisons...Ian

John,

Why not try the scrambles cams and find out for sure?
You have them, its easy to change back if you can't live with it.
I reckon the induction gas speed of an M21 may be under-rated.
In my experience, cylinder filling is cylinder filling.
The SV Harleys ran much more overlap than any BSA.
It probably won't beat a DBD34, but you just might be surprised.

Neale Gentner
John,

Why not try the scrambles cams and find out for sure?
You have them, its easy to change back if you can't live with it.
I reckon the induction gas speed of an M21 may be under-rated.
In my experience, cylinder filling is cylinder filling.
The SV Harleys ran much more overlap than any BSA.
It probably won't beat a DBD34, but you just might be surprised.

Neale,

I am only a smart as the last thing I read and easily influenced .... As you point out; it's an easy swap; the engine is currently on the bench with the cams installed, easy enough to change now, or later when the engine is back in the bike. I still have the cylinder and valves to sort, so plenty of time to consider a course of action.

I do have the M21 induction tube and the larger carb which I will match to the cylinder block, and I have the aluminum head. I will use a copper head gasket in as thin a gauge as practical (in light of potential crank flexing/piston clearance) to up the compression just a tiddle, so we'll see if any of this make a positive difference.

I am not fooling myself with the idea that I am building any kind of hot rod, but being able to pull a bit higher gearing would be nice.

Thanks for the moral support on the idea of a little empirical experiment....

I'm all for experimentation...Though I think it's fair to say 'cylinder filling is cylinder filling' is at the very least a rash statement. Direct comparisons between one feature of different engines also has to be qualified by the other features of each type, as no single feature determines the engines spec. or performance....Over the years I've tried all sorts of things with these BSA singles. I would recommend you don't go below .030" for the head gasket material..any less and contact is likely. If that happens you won't miss it...it's noisy...Final compression ratio shouldn't exceed 7-1 to avoid pre ignition under load. That is the commonly accepted maximum figure and I've proved that to be correct by extensive on the road testing.
To get to that you would have to skim the head though..a .010" reduction in the head gasket thickness won't make it go that high.(but will improve the 'squish' effect)
Lengthening the inlet tract is useful for better mid range performance and combined with some mild porting will improve the breathing..(though not the gas speed)
By all means try the cams...As Neale says they are an easy swap so there's nothing to lose. I'd be interested to see what you think of them..Ian

John,

In the cheap and easy department, you can also try a back-to-back test of 2446 cam on intake only.

The post war, long carb spacer was more about fitting a Monobloc carb so it cleared generator, you may still need something like a ram tube.

At least initially, apart from judicious clean-up at top of guide and below seat, I would not enlarge the intake port, but you can fit a carb bigger than the port, these will both keep the gas speed up.

Reduced exhaust pipe diameter may also help your induction, a custom pipe bent from concentric tubes will retain "stock" appearance, and will also be quieter. To keep weight down, at least the outer pipe can be aluminium. Pipe will probably need to be mandrel, or capstan bent (unless you have access to a suitable furnace you won't be able to hot bend concentric steel tubes and hot bending aluminium is out of the question).

Once you have it up and running, there is scope for further low cost and simple experimentation with reed valves instead of the long carb spacer.

Properly rigged reed valves should be a complete game changer re overlap.

Have fun, stay safe.

'Once you have it up and running, there is scope for further low cost and simple experimentation with reed valves instead of the long carb spacer.'

'Properly rigged reed valves should be a complete game changer re overlap.'

Has there ever been a successful four stroke engine fitted with reed valves..?...I know there have been a few failed/short lived attempts by Honda, GM and others.....Ian

Iv'e never heard of reed valves in a four stroke. How on earth would that work?
What would be the advantage?? I can understand in a two stroke where its difficult to alter the valve timing (porting) but thats no prob on a four stroke.

On large capacity singles with large ports and lumpy cams the fuel/air mixture has a tendency to be forced back out of the inlet port at low to medium engine speeds. This is called 'reversion'. As the carb will function with air flowing in either direction this enrichens the fuel/air mixture as it is forced back through the carb and this over rich mixture is then sucked in yet again...Over rich and over weak mixtures both cause the engine to lose power. The fitting of a reed valve, which in effect is a one way pressure operated valve, was an attempt to prevent this happening.
However, having the reed valve present itself interrupts air/fuel flow in the port so costs power anyway...It seems the late 70s early to mid 80s was the time when this was experimented with..Improvements in engine and carb design and the ultimately introduction of fuel injection made the idea redundant...
There is a Swedish engine which still uses reed valves but it is not particularly successful. In that case the object (I think) is an attempt to use crankcase pressure generated by the downward stroke of the piston to provide forced (pressurised) induction...Ian

Thanks for that Ian, you learn something every day on this Forum!!

Neale,

I never knew that the cam follower angle was different in SV and OHV crankcases. Thanks!

Jeff

email (option): jjbandoo@aol.com

Ian would fitting one of the gizmos that were all the rage on Harley's a few years back help? I can't recall what they were called but basically they were a slightly undersize steel gasket that fitted in the between the carb and manifold but instead of them being round in the middle they were barbed on the inside, the idea of them was that they were supposed to have better atomisation with the fuel collecting on the radially mounted barbs and on the negative pressure of the induction stroke they drew the fuel off the ends of the tips of the barbs, so it entered the manifold more evenly displaced. I think one of the plus sides to them was that they tended to stop the spit back from the carb which has annoyed Harley riders since the dawn of time. I presume it stopped this spit back because it offered a "resting place" for the fuel that didn't make it to the valve as it collected on the manifold side of the of the gasket (because it was slightly smaller than the actual opening of the manifold) then this spare fuel would be picked up on the next negative wave as the valve re opened.
I wonder if fitting a fine wire gauze sandwiched on the gasket faces would have the same effect and also it may act as an internal flame trap rather than fitting one on the air side of the carb, also would this impede the air flow to such a degree that it would ruin the performance, or would it improve it by giving a better atomisation?

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: OHV cam followers converge

This angle serves to align the tappet and pushrod from the center of the cam's base circle to the rocker arm (the intake and exhaust rocker levers are closer together than the tappets).
As far as I can tell, the "clock" position of the tappets is about 3°, with the intake (rear) camshaft retarded and the front (exhaust) camshaft advanced.
Does anyone have factory data on this?

I notice that there are no alternate cam positions, each is fixed by the lobe's location vis-a-vis its gear's tooth pattern. This makes any adjustments very coarse: 20° per tooth.
Has anyone tried tweaking some of the pieces to obtain a finer intermediate step, such as an offset key to re-time the pinion gear? It may be possible to broach another keyway in the gear as well.

email (option): sales@victorylibrary.com

Nieuwe pagina 1