Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD G3L tappet guides

Can anybody recommend a good method for removing the tappet guides from the 41G3L crankcase? I don't have the tool recommended by AMC.

email (option): Asyl18@dsl.pipex.com

Re: WD G3L tappet guides

Hello Roger,

If you have access to a lathe, or someone who can operate one, it's quite easy to knock something up, using an old cam cover, that you saw off, and make the parts as in the picture, dimensions not very critical.

Have some more pictures if required.

Make sure you fit new cam followers of the improved postwar type, then, if you ever fit a two start oil pump, it can cope with the extra oil flow.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): welbike@wish.net

Thanks for the info Lex and for the pic. I do have a spare crankcase half but not the timing cover. I have been reading about cooking the crankcase and drifting them out with soft drift. Seems like a popular solution that works apparently......assuming you are super careful of course!

Cheers
Roger

email (option): Asyl18@dsl.pipex.com

Super carefull!!! yes, that is why I find so many broken cam followers at the jumbles!! that is not from running the engine!

Problem is, that the surface is too slippery to hit it with a drift and the edges of the follower break off real easy.

Cheers,

Lex

The current version of the "Jampot" AMOC magazine has an article on this very subject and how to make your own extractor!

Yes, excellent article, John T kindly sent it to me, funnily enough, I spoke to the author last saturday, there is however a way to get around making the big plate, I have the lasercutting drawing for it! or when enough interest I can have some made, min. 10 pieces.

Cheers,

Lex

ps, email me if you want a scan of the article!

I've never had to replace them.They seem to last forever. Are you sure you want the grief?

I had to replace them in my G3. It was not the wear in the tappet stem or guide. It was the mushroom face of the followers that where bad. The cams were knackered too. It looked like the engine had been standing with water inside it for years, then reinstated with just a clean up The big end was also badly pitted. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1