Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sprinter fairing

Ordered one of these fairings today for the sprinter...Lovely shape and will help with top speed...Just got to decide on colours now, which I always struggle with....Ian  photo super-nero.jpg

Re: Sprinter fairing

Khaki No 3 of course Ian!

ian,
have you spoken to Sam lovegrove recently ? he migh have some useful advice ?

chris

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Who is that Chris?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

he's the chap in redruth who is the design engineer for the brough superior sprint attempt...built it from scratch, tuned it, run it.....

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Have you almost completed the sprinter Ian, or still sourcing parts?
A matt green and brown camo colour scheme might be quite apt or the shark mouth like the new Morgan, looks brilliant

photo SharkmouthMorgan_zpsccf732ca.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

in my day it was known as a dustbin fairing so maybe you could get someone to airbrush like an old distbin

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Ian, you are going to need a name too, how about naming it after your wife "Elizabeth".

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi Horror..No, still plenty to do but I am finding more time to move it along now, so progress is being made. The fairing is just another thing off the list...
It won't be KGP No3 for certain..Apart from wanting a change I'm building the bike to 'show spec.' so I've decided something with a bit more 'impact' is required...
I have a theory that the colour of a bike gives the bike it's 'character' and also reflects to a degree something about the builder...In other words the colour makes a statement...For example, if it was all matt black the impression and the perceived intention would be very different to what it would be if it was all chrome plated...Or, for example,...You wouldn't paint a traction engine metallic orange..it just wouldn't be the 'right' colour...It's a 'deep' subject when you think about it..and why I struggle to come up with the right combination.. ...I usually spend months coming to a conclusion and I've already changed my mind a few times after spraying some test pieces various colours..Wrong colour, too brash, too dull etc. etc..Ian

Hi Rob..Yes..another problem. I like names on sprinters...I'll post a pic. of a design I've sketched up later today for general comment...Ian

How about a giant "Goldstar" motif on each side with a flat top because its a sidevalve.

Rob

photo 38logoa_zps3ff596c9.jpg

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Here's a design I roughly sketched out a while back photo sidewinder001.jpg...Obviously it needs to be fine tuned and colours determined...Ian

Aren't 'sidewinders' yellow and black...and if you have some M21 bits then chances are they're ex-AA...so yellow and black with a large commercial box, it has to be....

Seriously, if it were mine then I'd be looking for something classic era and perhaps pick up on the drop-tank type look. A not too shiny aluminium silver with some discrete striping.

I used to have an old Honda CX 500 that I called Sidewinder, because the shaft drive was knackered and the back end used to wiggle around and snake about at speed!

Hi Rik...I think you're right. There's a balance to be struck somewhere between too 'dull' and too 'blingy'...though 'Silver with some discrete striping' sounds suspiciously like Norton racing colours.. ...Ian

Ian, honestly, no...I wasn't thinking Norton. Certainly not thin red and black...that solid blue that George Brown used is nice. I was thinking more something that would have appeared on a 1930s aeroplane...a bit Schneider trophy. maybe the BSA gloss green where Nero has the blue ?

It should also be something that's not too difficult to touch up. A comp bike that's being lifted in and out of vans, sometimes after a long day is going to get the odd scrape.

One thing that I would want to avoid is that two-pack pickled in resin effect or the sort of sunglasses shine that Sammy Miller goes for on all his flat tankers.

Hi Rik...I want the paintwork to be relatively subtle as there will be a lot of aluminium and stainless parts on the bike. Time to start browsing 'early' paint jobs for inspiration I think. On my B33 I used the red and black colour scheme from an Excelsior Manxman that I have always liked.
The other day I was round at a friends house who had just got the tank back for a Levis he is restoring...I must admit I was quite taken by the Gloss black base with dark Royal Blue panels and gold lining that was standard on those bikes for a while...Ian

How about simple racing green?

email (option): evandeweerthof@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1