Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD Bike with unusual blackout mask

I've just seen this picture on ebay and noticed the blackout mask. I've seen ones like this for sale in the past but didn't think it was off a British bike. Does anyone know anything about it..?

photo f9a17fbd-6bd3-4683-a23a-f188a19b83ea_zpsd0c00cfd.jpg

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Re: WD Bike with unusual blackout mask

I've seen those too. It's not a WD (or Air Ministry) pattern.

The bike is marked to (2nd ?) Tactical Air Force. is that the Brandenburger Tor behind ? If so, he's had a fair bit of Europe to find a mask in.

Many years ago I did have a pair of these that came to me via a family member. This was back in the days when I was not specifically interested in wartime vehicles; and I let them go to a friend. I dont remember the manufacturers name, there was one, but memory, if correct, says they were British so I would not rule it out that the mask came all the way from the UK. But I always assumed they were from a civvy car. I agree that this is the first time I have seen one on a bike.

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

The mask in the picture is just one of the many types supplied to the civy market in the UK.
I gave one like the one in the bottom picture to John Tinley so that he could re-enact a wartime picture with his Matchless Model X. Ron

photo mask_zpsb273929a.jpg
 photo mask2_zps6c8a272e.jpg
 photo mask3_zps2544ed9f.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Interesting picture, certainly a civilian mask and it just goes to show that sometimes, there is no right or wrong. If you turned up at a military show on a WD bike with a civy mask, the rivet counters would have you for breakfast, but there it is in black and white.

Thanks for that Ron, I didn't know that. I've seen ones like this on ebay and I thought they were advertised for a Russian bike like a Cossack or something, so interesting to find out it's British.

If anyone wants the picture it's ebay item 370808533475

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

It might just be my Belgian roots talking, but the background building sure looks like the Cinquantenaire Parc in Brussels, which incidently houses the War Museum and Air Museum amongst other things.

Cheers,
FX Dutoy

I think you are dead right! I know the area very well and I'd be prepared to bet that this is indeed Cinquantenaire Parc in Brussels, well spotted!

Nieuwe pagina 1