Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
47 pattern uniform

Hi folks

For those who know me, it's true to say I have enjoyed a pie or 2 in my time !!

Therefore it's been a bit difficult to obtain original uniform stuff to fit

I have seen a 49 pattern jacket & trousers which would appear to be for a fellow pie eating enthusiast but wonder if this pattern could pass for use on my bike - bearing in mind maybe once a year usage - I would wear a jerkin over the jacket

Help please from the uniform rivet counters of the forum if possible

Best regards

Jo' b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: 47 pattern uniform

They are undoubtably different, and I'm assuming you are aware of this. For those who are not then the most obvious is the later bd jackets have what pass for lapels whilst the wartime ones button right up to the neck without the 'fold backs'. 49 pattern would not get past the gaze of even the most 'benevolent' stitch counter - and in fairness the two terms are not really possible to use in the same sentence. :-) However, with a leather jerkin over the top and maybe a scrim scarf around the neck I dont think many would spot it and away from a 'hard line' authentic Living History event it doesn't matter. To my mind it would only be wrong if you were trying to pass it off to the public as being correct for the war. But then again there are still plenty of errors from re-enactors L/H types who think they know better. Once a year - wear what you want on your bike - be a post-war Don R. They wore 49 pattern:-)

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

I used to wear 47 pattern BD trousers (with the pocket in the wrong location) and a 47 BD jacket (under the jerkin)...In a way it's no different to having Dunlop K70 tyres on your bike instead of original WD marked ones..The point really is to just create the right overall look and the average member of the public doesn't know any different and most likely doesn't even think about it.... Personally, I don't worry any more about the opinions of re-enactor purists than I do about motorcycle rivet counters...If that's the world they want to live in that's fine by me...but it's not my way. I'm not a living history buff,(or a 'concours' bike builder).. I only want to show my bike in a more relevant way, but not necessarily a historically perfect way down to the last detail.
If you're really concerned you can get the correct pattern in replica and in 'pie eater' modern sizes from Soldier of Fortune and others. I got my wartime pattern BD trousers from them when my 47s started to get a bit worn out and am very happy with them....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It would look really good with stainless steel buttons on it.

I suppose for a really authentic look on the 70th. most of us would need cosmetic surgery to make us look young again and a starvation diet for a few months...You have to accept there are limits to 'authenticity' that can't be overcome and just be relaxed about it..A re-enactor friend of mine moved from the Paras to the Devonshire regt. as he got older. Most of us should be in the Home Guard.... ...Ian

Ian Wright
I used to wear 47 pattern BD trousers (with the pocket in the wrong location) and a 47 BD jacket (under the jerkin)...In a way it's no different to having Dunlop K70 tyres on your bike instead of original WD marked ones..The point really is to just create the right overall look and the average member of the public doesn't know any different and most likely doesn't even think about it.... Personally, I don't worry any more about the opinions of re-enactor purists than I do about motorcycle rivet counters...If that's the world they want to live in that's fine by me...but it's not my way. I'm not a living history buff,(or a 'concours' bike builder).. I only want to show my bike in a more relevant way, but not necessarily a historically perfect way down to the last detail.
If you're really concerned you can get the correct pattern in replica and in 'pie eater' modern sizes from Soldier of Fortune and others. I got my wartime pattern BD trousers from them when my 47s started to get a bit worn out and am very happy with them....Ian

Hear Hear!

jon,
just got a set of '37 pattern from what price glory, and they are spot on...and cheaper than soldier of fortune...

slan.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Hi Jon, I have ordered many items from What Price Glory. They are top notch, and very authentic. I know Jerry Lee, the owner, and he is a real gentleman, genuine and honest. WPG ships out of Dubai, so delivery to Europe & UK is very fast. Check the reviews they get on their items, always 5 stars. I believe you will be very happy if you purchase from them.

Mark

email (option): Wingco40@hotmail.com

Thanks to all for your comments & advice on & off forum - I really appreciate it

British uniforms are still a mystery to me having spent years studying & to some degree collecting German kit

Too late to go and just buy a uniform for the 6th this year so will look to cover up with a Denision or such on the day over my leather jacket

Next year I will be a bit more sorted if I make the trip to France

Best regards

Jo'b

'If' you make the trip next year?...Don't be ridiculous John... ...Ian

come on John,you know as well as I do that you will be there,what are me Kit Andy Daren and Greg going to do at night otherwise? we cant possibly drink all that beer without you and the other Irish lads

True story chaps !!

:-/

Jo'b

Remember John if you don't make it for the 70 wd bike run you don't get your free ride in the bedford QL.

Guy

Nieuwe pagina 1