Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
m20 forks

hi just new on here, i must say firstly that this forum has been a great help to me this being my first m20 rebuild. i have just about finished my first m20 1945, it is as far as i can tell 90% original apart from it has bsa c10 font forks and wheel, it has its correct speedo (but no way to drive it)headlight and mud gaurd, even founds its original c no and polar bear badge under the layers of paint,out of all the bolts undone in the strip down and painting i only had to cut 2 not bad for being stuck in a shed since 1965,
Has any one a leads on a affordable set of girders for it,... or which is the best of the worst of the new indian builds????,
how do you up load your photos on here ?
karl
c6665557

Re: m20 forks

Hi Karl,

You also a welcome to the forum!
You can easily open a free account on www.flickr.com (or another site).
Once you've uploaded your photos you can choose the 'share' option and than you need to grab (copy) the link and paste it in your post.
If it doesn't work, you can pm me some of your pictures and I can post them here. Original markings are like drugs to us WD bike addicts..

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

thanks i like i said it been a big help
the thing that i noticed on mine was that the polar bear was straight on to the karki green with no black back ground like i have seen in many of the other photo ?

Hi Karl,

Welcome and please don't go for the Indian forks but keep looking for an original one and be patient. I had an Indian fork in hands once at a jumble but would not even want it for free. Very crudely made, which is good in one way as they are now distinguishable from the original ones....

I use Photobucket to upload pictures and copy the HTML in the text. Works fine for me.

Good luck, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

karl
Has any one a leads on a affordable set of girders for it,... or which is the best of the worst of the new indian builds????,
how do you up load your photos on here ?
karl
c6665557

Karl
having had some recent experience with Indian components in a non structural component It is my considered opinion that you should leave them to the Indians and avoid them like the Plague or in 21st century language like HIV the photo below I believe demonstrates the quality of Indian Engineering. Keep calm follow leads on sites like this and avoid E-bay. In the meantime enjoy your M20 in its non standard form.

Ron FTLDU

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

Somebody I know recently got a Levis to rebuild and bought a set of M20 forks (Indian) to use on it as the originals were missing..After stripping and blasting the forks he bought then to my workshop for me to take a good look at....
Well, if anyone is under any illusion that the Indians have 'cleaned up their act' forget about it...I could write a book on the various faults and inaccuracies, many of which were major ones..
Don't consider them as a possibility even for a moment...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

cheers i thought possibly they all couldnt be bad lol i have a cj 750 the chinese copy of the german bmw r71 although the original bike isnt to bad replacement parts are of poor quality so its just not india doing a bad job
any one hearing of a good set let me know we dont have many good auto jumble up in the northeast
karl

It wasn't very long ago that India was a 'full on' third world country and in many ways they still fall into that category. It is certainly apparent in their manufacturing industry...The Chinese are a major manufacturer for the rest of the world but without foreign input on manufacturing standards and methods still seem to have problems with quality....
The Russians do trees, oil, gas, agriculture and raw materials and hardly seem to have a manufacturing industry...Are there any good Russian domestic consumer products that make it to the West?...Ian

Its a blessing that they can't make those terrible forks the right shape, if they were harder to spot it would make a bad situation even worse.

Ian,
how about the Ural Djnepr motorbikes ??? (or whatever name they have in the UK)

Remember the Moskvich car? Memories are the only things left cos' the cars certainly aint.

I knew a local chap in the 70's who drove a Moskvich & another guy along the road had an east German 2 stroke Wartburg .. :D both were very horrible.

As a teenager I was given a Russian tractor to drive on a summer farm job .. I drove the Ford one alsmost every day instead as the Russian one broke down daily, it was complete rubbish.

I had a Russian sidecar outfit...I used to call it the 'Russian Nightmare'...It wasn't a case of if it would break down but when...I gave up when the crankshaft broke with less than 8,000 miles on the clock from new..
A pile of junk, Comrade... ...Ian

i must addmit my cj side valve has not been a bad bike had her for about 3 years now but a ohv one i had was a pig suppose, its the same with all bikes just about to put a side car on mine should be a experiance lol
the story goes that the germans sold the licence for the bmw r71 to the russians pre war who made those horrible urals etc come the late 1950 s the russians sold the liecence to the chinnese who went back to the original design and even put a electric start on them shame about the quality

a friend of mine had a russian side car outfit with the sidecar on the outside we went to silverstone in it never again sitting on the outside in a flimsy sidecar i was frightened to death i thought i was going to be crushed to death by every lorry that came towards me it took me days to stop the twitching

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I have quite long experience with russian boxers. 20 years ago I bought 650 OHV Dnepr. After 2 years dealing with oil pressure loss when hot and other problems I switched to the K750 SV. This is real workhorse. I even did long trip about 6000km in eastern Europe with it and I hadn't any problems. I still have it and it starts after first kick despite it is staying in the shed most of the time.

Hi Karl, How about the polar bear picture ?? Regards, Michiel

when i figure out how to get photos on here lol

Hi Ian.... Do yu understand life is a full circle Ian.... We have moved ahead of being a Third world after you pharased us as Third World once upon a time.... yes Indian, Russians, Chinese and entire Asia are certainly moving towards the world standards.... Western Presidents and Priministers are lobbying BIG deals with us to Bail out your companies in Distress.... You don't even know about our Engineering.... People who do these jobs for you shody cheap wartime bikes are just a live by the day like probably you are bike freaks.... But the engineers here don't waste their time on replicating anything old.... For the matter of fact if they did, they would certainly ruin you personal gain market for you IAN.... Grow up and get a Life.... While we try and give your shody bikes some life here.... Regards Vinay

Good luck on your journey....Ian

Now we are fu**ed if our stupid presidents & priministers are doing BIG deals with you lot to bail out our companies in distress .The only thing these countries do for use is to increase the price of our scrap metal which you build into unusable crap/repro junk.As for helping us to keep our shody bikes on the road I dont think so as we know your game and workmanship (if you can call it that) .I suggest you get a life and a engineering degree before you call our cheap war time bikes shody as these things will still be running when anything you lot produce is well fu**ed. regards Dave

Honest
Hi Ian.... Do yu understand life is a full circle Ian.... We have moved ahead of being a Third world after you pharased us as Third World once upon a time.... yes Indian, Russians, Chinese and entire Asia are certainly moving towards the world standards.... Western Presidents and Priministers are lobbying BIG deals with us to Bail out your companies in Distress.... You don't even know about our Engineering.... People who do these jobs for you shody cheap wartime bikes are just a live by the day like probably you are bike freaks.... But the engineers here don't waste their time on replicating anything old.... For the matter of fact if they did, they would certainly ruin you personal gain market for you IAN.... Grow up and get a Life.... While we try and give your shody bikes some life here.... Regards Vinay

Sorry vinay,

You are well off the mark. I have had many dealings with Indian engineering through my business. Not good generally.
Yes you can send a sattelite up. But most of the crap that India exports is a joke. Many reasons for this, but not on this forum.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Honest

If Indian engineering is so good, why is it that every bike that I've seen from there is completely bodged? No wonder you consider M20's as shoddy if that is the best engineering you can do to repair them. If your top engineers are at the cutting edge of technology why is it that you produce bearings that only last a couple of months, tap and die sets that break the first time you use them and alternators that are incorrectly assembled and fail within a couple of weeks, these aren't alternators for old bangers, they are for state of the art charging systems, even bathroom fittings such as taps, and plumbing connectors break or leak within a short period of time? If you can't even get basic engineering right, what chance is it that you will get cutting edge technology correct?
ESSAR took over Shell Petroleum at Stanlow near me recently , there was a serious fire within a couple of weeks that could have been catastrophic to the area this was caused by poor maintenance and failure to do safety checks, this wreaks of wanting to make a quick buck at the expense of safety and quality........need I say more! Remember Bhopal, a story of bad maintenance and poor work practices?
I used to give India the benefit of the doubt but the more I see the less I'm inclined to do so, can you blame me? You hide behind the pseudonym "honest", I don't hide behind any such name, I'm just being honest!
When you say that our leaders are brokering big deals with your country to save our companies, this is not true, most of our big companies are run not by directors, but by stupid pricks called accountants that want to save the companies money, they do this by f******g up the company by pushing forward big ideas of cheapening production costs by shipping the work to third world countries, saying after a year or so that they have streamlined the company, collecting a big dividend for themselves and the shareholders (after making redundancies and completely f*****g the company) then they move on to the next job on the pretence of "saving" another company. I doubt that there isn't a big company that has shipped work abroad that either publicly or privately wished it hadn't.
You may consider me as "anti Indian" but all the above failure of Indian components has happened to me, as I'm sure it has to other forum members, so you can see not just mine, but other people's views of Indian products, as everyone of the failures of the above mentioned components was sent back to the supplier which if the issue was resolved with the manufacturer in India I'll never know, but I'm sure the supplier who has to stand the cost of failures, as Indian manufacturers seem reluctant to offer any kind of warranty to the retailer as all the companies I've returned stuff back to can confirm, they seem to prefer to just sell it cheap and let the retailer have the problems. This to me dosen't seem to be good business practice for a companies that want to build up a reputation for good quality workmanship and to impress upon the world that their products are second to none.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

careful now

Polaris Industries is considering entering into a partnership with India-based Eicher Motors in order to make its debut in the booming premium motorcycle market in India with its two motorcycle brands- ‘Indian Motorcycle’ and ‘Victory’. It is considering acquiring Eicher’s Jaipur-based Royal Enfield plant to assemble its motorcycles locally.

from the article
http://allaboutbikes.in/indian-motorcycle-to-launch-2014-indian-chief-and-victory-in-india-in-one-year/

the company i work for in australia, manufacturing heavy transport equipment has had a factory in china for about 15 years,now they are looking to set one up in india as well

one day we may get good quality m20 parts from india who knows

Honest
Hi Ian.... Do yu understand life is a full circle Ian.... .... Regards Vinay

Yea but the last couple you sent over, the ends didn't quite meet up...

Eicher Motors that make the Royal Enfield in India is a German company

It seems not everyone is convinced by the arguments for Indian manufacturing....

Polaris, Harley Davidson and Triumph are all setting up plants in India...and no doubt many other non motorcycle related firms as well...

The reason?...
Firstly, the historically very high import duties applied to imported goods that protected the Indian economy (basically manipulating the balance of trade by making imported goods uncompetitive)...
Set up manufacturing within the country and you avoid this...It's much the same reason the Japanese have production facilities within the EEC....

Secondly..Why now?...Well that has been prompted by the increasing wealth of the Indian middle classes..Aspirational people with money to spend are going to attract Western manufacturers of consumer goods like flies to ummm....

However, make no mistake, these companies might employ an Indian workforce to an extent but design, manufacturing methods and quality control etc. will remain firmly in their hands..None of them are about to deliver that responsibility into the Indians hands....

As this trend increases Indian manufacturing will be exposed to direct competition with Western companies in their previously protected domestic market...That will determine just what Indian manufacturing is and isn't capable of.....

Also, 'Honest' seems to think India, China and the Russians etc. are all moving forward together...Not so...They are all moving forward, but India will have to compete with all of them as well... and China in particular is as much a threat to Indian companies as it is to Western companies....

There is no doubt India has some capability...They are a force within computing, have their own space programme etc. etc....
However, they also have large parts of the population living in abject poverty, little or no education for many, an inadequate basic infrastructure in terms of delivery of services, transport etc, child labour and other social problems that need to be addressed etc. etc. ...The list is a long one.

Regarding Indian manufactured goods for export, quality examples don't come rushing to mind...I don't have an Indian computer, washing machine, car, camera, cd player, phone etc.etc....and if the motorcycle parts that come our way are indicative of what we might get I think I'll 'pass' for now...Ian

Don't forget the Indian caste system. India will never be a meritocracy until it finally sheds itself of this terrible societal relic. I have had the pleasure to have worked with some good Indian engineers and all fled that country after getting their degrees because they could never succeed because they were not the right caste. No country is perfect, but at least China doesn't have that barrier to its engineering workforce.

Nieuwe pagina 1