Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton frame numbers ....

Hi All. Just wondered where the frame number would be normally found on none WD Norton rigid frames.Is it in the same place without the the W or something else.All help appreciated.Regards Andy B

Re: Norton frame numbers ....

Hi Andy,

The only correct place for a frame no of a Norton (WD16H) rigid is on the front frame tube on the left side of the tank lug seen when you sit on the bike.
Have a look on Rob van den Brink's website for pictures;

http://www.wdnorton.nl/Frame_and_Engine_number_page_16H.htm

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hi Thanks for that Sven.... I have seen a frame without any number at all on this lug..... but stamped with just a five digit number on the saddle down tube lug. Is this a civillian frame ? or perhaps a replacement military one??? did replacement military frames leave Norton without a W number in the usual place to stamped later ?
I guess I am trying to determine if its a genuine military frame thats not stamped... a replacement military frame .. or a civillian frame and never military in any way ??? Any ideas anyone. Regards Andy

Hi Andy, there are other numbers stamped on various parts of the frame but these are not the frame number, probably workshop numbers. The frame number should be where Sven said unless it was never stamped or it's been removed. I thought that all frames were stamped, even spare ones, but Rik will be able to tell you more I'm sure.
Make sure you have taken the paint off as some are quite lightly stamped or worn away from sand blasting etc. I couldn't see my frame number until the paint had been removed.

If you post a picture of the frame we should be able to tell if it's a WD frame or not.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The only correct location for the frame number on any saddle-tank rigid Norton is the nearside of the front fuel tank mounting lug.

There were casting marks on other lugs, both relief and impressed but they are clearly distinguishable from a stamped number. I've never seen a stamped number on the saddle tube top lug.

The easiest way to identify a WD frame is to measure it. The higher ground clearance was achieved by shortening the front and saddle down tubes. If the front down tube, between the lug shoulders, measures around 7" - 7 1/16" then it's a WD frame. The civilian frame was about 1" longer.

It's not really known if all replacement WD frames left the factory with frame numbers. The factory records show that pre- and early-war practice was indeed to issue frames with numbers from the production series. Spare engines were also numbered (although with a different prefix). It is certainly evident that later war spare engines were un-numbered (I know several who have bought them). However, I've never seen an NOS WD frame.

There are gaps in the known frame number sequences but my feeling is that these are not sufficient to have included all of the considerable quantitiy of replacement frames supplied.

As has been suggested, it would be useful to see a photo of the number (Is it a Norton number, do the stamp forms conform ?).

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say someone broke the frame on a pre-war sidecar outfit, fitted an NOS WD replacement and only realised when he had to go for an MOT that he couldn't get at the front tank lug.

Nieuwe pagina 1