Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA M23 1939 maintenance help!

Hello,

I´m new owner of BSA M23 500cc 2port 1939 model and looking for some informations about maintenance of the bike. I have also prewar Ariel but new in BSA brand. I know that this is not M23 forum but hope anybody can help me.
The bike is unused for about 2 years so it need some TLC.

1) Are there on BSA any oil sludge trap like Ariel have. Or are any special setup to check and clean the oil way on M23.
2) What type of oil is recommended to this bike (SAE 50 ?).
3) What type of new spark plug use on M23.
4) Does anybody have 1939 M23 spare part list and manual in digital format and able to send it by email. Found here a BSA spare part list DVD - so if anybody can send it by email will be perfect. (Don´t need it for free!!)
5) Are there any special think on M23 what is necessary check on unused bike?

Thank you very much for your help and Best Regards Lukas Brodacky, Hodonin Czech republic

email (option): brody007@volny.cz

Re: BSA M23 1939 maintenance help!

Lukas,

I am in the UK right now with Henk but we will be able to help you. Henk has the DVD with the parts list. I have the other information at home.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): Leonhop3@planet.nl

Lukas,

I am in the UK right now with Henk but we will be able to help you. Henk has the DVD with the parts list. I have the other information at home.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): Leonhop3@planet.nl

Ok,

I will be wait for email or message here on forum.

Thank you and Best Regards Lukas

email (option): brody007@volny.cz

Hello lucas i live in Australia and i also have a 1939 M23 twin port im nearly finnished restoring i can send you some information that you need i also need plug number also i have 1939 m22 and 1939 KB25 350 also 1940 WM 23 just starting that one send me some photos and i can send you some

email (option): steven_smith_39@hotmail.com

Hi Lukas i have finished my M23 the sparking plugs is a KLG type 831 or L777 i have the L777 in mine and it runs very well . in the top of your oil tank there should be an oil strainer rather than a filter
the oil is a straight SEA 50 grade take off your timing side cover and make sure the two rubber are in there recesses as for a sludge trap there isn't one just take of your little sump plate ( four small slotted bolts ) and clean the mesh and get some SEA 30 run your engine i did about 2 miles on mine then dump the oil and replace with SEA 50 if you need any Photographs or any more info just email me
Hope this helps
regards gary

email (option): garypitt@talktalk.net

Hi Steven, I also have a BSA WM23 and I have been looking for any information on this bike. But finding it very difficult to find and thing like photos, parts list and history on this bike, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I also have a 1938 M23 Empire Star. Thanks Steve.

email (option): wishman69@gmail.com

There certainly weren't many WM23s made from August 1939 with a couple of stragglers to May 1940

Do you have the brochure illustration ?

WM23-Engine-2

Re: BSA WM23 1940 maintenance help!

Hi Steven
I have purchased a BSA WM23 and I was chasing any details I can find. As you know there are not to many of them around, is your's in a WM20 frame or a KM20 frame. Also what tank is on your's aswell the guards, thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

email (option): wishman69@gmail.com

Re: BSA WM23 1939 information

Hi rick just came across your post , i have a collection of pre war bsas i have a 1939 KJM22 500 ohv .that has been restored over 20 years now i ride it every where . i also have a 1939 KM23 500cc ohv twin port almost finished restoration .i have a 60% restored 1939 KB25 350 cc factory competition bike , and i also have about 90% of a 1940 WM23 500cc ohv bike all unrestored. But i can not find any information on that WM bike other than first bike frame number was M20 101 in 1940 and engine numbers were WM23 101 onwards i have lots of info and books on all the other bikes but this one is very difficult to get info on

email (option): steven_smith_39@hotmail.com

Hi Lukas and other guys involved with m22 / m23 BSA projects.
Mine is M22 two port model with engine JM22 and frame JM19 prefix witch is correct for 1938. Yes, they rare and during the restoration process you have to use us much your brain and technical intuition, workshop step by step accuracy, old catalogs (hipolite, lucas, amal ect) as well with old photos to did your job correct.

I’m lucky my m22 is again on the road during braking period, ca 1600 km without serious issues, one non standard improvement with 6V DC regulator – WASSEL, and some inaccuracy against factory spec with exhaust mounts and leather seat in bronze color.
Lukas be careful with engine parts e.g.cams, lifters, piston, and 2 port cylinder head, they are very unique for the model and rare on the market.

For parts i can share pdf catalog, please grab it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hMAF8ibds0HqROnia2BW84uRHeNRYmjN/view?usp=sharing

And my running BSA video, just for fun if you are interested in:

https://youtu.be/qm8Y7LU7Wbs

Regards
Robert

email (option): robertzgory@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1