Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Interesting

I was speaking to someone today who happened to own amongst other things the Steve McQueen Triumph as used in the great escape. He also happens to own the Triumph that was armoured on on one side for airfield perimeter defence. It has lost it's armour plate, but does retain the lead in the toolbox to counterbalance it and all the mounting plates for the armour and the Bren gun mount. I've asked him to send photos and information to put on here if anyone is interested.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Interesting

That is sooooooooooooooo cool. Man, you have interesting contacts.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi dave

Would like to see please

Soneone here in london area re- created the triumph with steel plates - it was at war & peace last year

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Was it the original or a re creation? His didn't have the plate on, but it did have the brackets on for it, maybe it was his and he just mocked one up for the show. I've got to send some pictures of the wings to him for Brooklands museum so I'll ask him then he also owns the fastest bike that lapped Brooklands and a load of Triumph ISDT bikes, a very interesting chap!

Urban legend has it that the Triumph used in the Great Escape is the same one used in Happy Days. Can anyone confirm?? Incidently Henry Winkler couldn't ride a motorbike!!

Keith, its unusual for there to be just one bike due to the high cost of a days filming often several bikes would be available all looking similar. not sure in great escape ... but anyway McQueen was on a 61 TR6 in the release.The happy days Triumph was a 49 TR5.
The only connection between the two bikes is that they were likely to have both been supplied by Bud Ekins.

the armoured bike built in London that JoB mentions is a copy built by Sean Walshe from Feltham area,there was a feature on it in one of the mv mags a while back,I think the pics were done at Beltring

I think that the great escape Triumph was an ex ISDT machine , he did mention which one it was but I forgot. Like I said I'll get more pictures and info on it and the armoured one.

The famous Steve McQueen ISDT bike is a different machine to the film bike as it was a new 64 model, here's the section off the Wiki page...

--- --- --- ---

Steve McQueen and the 1964 International Six Day Trials

In 1964, the US ISDT team, including the Ekins brothers and Steve McQueen travelled to East Germany. Brand new TR6SC and T100SC models were collected from Meriden for the competition. Cliff Coleman achieved third place in the up to 750 cc class and Dave Ekins gained fifth place in the 500 cc. Bud Ekins and Steve McQueen both crashed out on the third day, Ekins with a broken ankle. The Steve McQueen bike has been rediscovered and is now owned by Sean and Catherine Kelly of Johnson Motors.[19]
[edit]
Appearance in The Great Escape

The motorcycles used during chase scene in film The Great Escape were 1961 Triumph TR6 Trophy models disguised as German BMW R75 motorcycles.[20][21] The star of the movie, Steve McQueen did much of the riding for the film himself although Bud Ekins performed the famous jump scene as McQueen's stunt double.[19] Pin-striper and artist Von Dutch converted the motorcycles for the movie while working at Ekins' shop.

--- --- --- ---

Its a bit like "Steve McQueens Indian" which is alot more than one machine :D

Nieuwe pagina 1