Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The sub continent strikes again or the revenge of Gupta

In a fit of insanity I purchased a Field stand bracket of flea bay it turned out a bigger disaster than you could imagine the quality was incredibly poor as can be seen from the attached photo not only did it look like some with no experience made it with nothing more than a hammer and chisel but also critical parts were rusted together if you look closely the central pin on which the stand rotates was rusted together. It was painted with a broom tipped in tar needless to say the vendors reply was send it back if you don't want it and I will refund the purchase price of course the cost of postage to India is more than the cost of the items and the fact it was obviously Defective I have raised a complaint with both EBay and Pay pal so we will see what the response is Cest LE vie you are never to old to learn another lesson so avoid a flea bay vendor from the sub continent whose name begins with the make of Indian motorcycle Caveat Emptor

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

Re: The sub continent strikes again or the revenge of Gupta

That's absolute rubbish, looks like the frame clamp hole has been cut out with an angle grinder. More overseas rubbish, trouble is thet look good on the listing.

Tim W

Repo parts should never ever be bought from evilbay for two good reasons.
1 ) see above
2) shopd that carry good quality repo parts will just close down due to lack of sales.

He who buys cheap pays thrice

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I stupidly did the same with the rear stand, after a three year wait. I bit the bullet and bought one, not even close to the right shape. I now have an original. I WILL never ever buy their crud again.
Darren

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

I bought a replica black out mask from an American company as I could not find a replica or original at the time, when it arrived it was made in India. I was lucky because it fits nicely and can easily be swapped for night time riding.

Sir Ewok
I bought a replica black out mask from an American company as I could not find a replica or original at the time, when it arrived it was made in India. I was lucky because it fits nicely and can easily be swapped for night time riding.

I am sure a lot of the parts we buy are made in 3rd world countries but these are inspected by that person/organisation retailing these and if defective they have some power to have the original supplier rectify the the situation before on selling and the 3rd world soon becomes aware of their quality requirements. but when they are selling direct to individuals via Flea Bay they believe they have the whip hand so anything goes.

Finally in this case the vendor has admitted that the part is Defective so now we will see what EBay or Paypal do but I have learnt my lesson and will only buy from reputable suppliers here or where you are.

An interesting sidelight to this some time ago I bought a seat not on Ebay (makers mark Wassel) and went to fit it yesterday only to find the spring eyes have been made to small and won't accept 5/16" bolts

That's because the Wassells seats are made in ................you guessed it India !!!!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave Plumb
That's because the Wassells seats are made in ................you guessed it India !!!!

As suspected you can't get away from the guiptas of the world I would complain to the vendor but I can't remember who I purchased it from

Re: The sub continent strikes again Ver 2 the good guys strike back

Well after weeks of negotiation threats and counter threats we have had a resolution I sent the crap back today after PayPal gave an undertaking to supply me with a full refund which includes the return postage albeit with the caveat that this was a one off resolution and should not be used as a Precedent it was a struggle but we finally got there 4 lessons were learned.

1. No matter how unlikely it looks continue to press for your rightful refund
2. Never buy anything directly from the Sub Continent especially from Arpsroyalenfield
3. Avoid sellers who use low resolution photographs and cover the item with their logo
4. Never buy anything on the 1st of April

Still I should be happy that I am not out of pocket. As the transaction was in GBP which has appreciated against the AUD I should make a profit albeit small.

Ron FTLDU

Hans from Holland bought a speedo from Italy that proved to be an Indian copy instead of an original Smiths as the photos suggested. He was allowed to destroy the thing after settling a refund from the seller. He showed the photos here to prove this, that must have been nice to do

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

They are the same people offering those reproduction girder forks that have been talked about here before.
The thought of riding on forks built to the same standard as that field stand truly frightening, but I bet people are.

email (option): gasboy@btinternet.com

In this month's 'Real Classic' magazine's classifieds there is quite a careful descrption of a bike for sale :-

"NORTON INTERNATIONAL 350cc in race trim.No papers. Built as VMCC Racer. 1939 iron engine, comp mag, TT carb, standard frame, dolls head box, new girders, 21" 500T front wheel. Runs well. Selects gears. £9500."

Apart from the fact he says 'built as' rather than 'eligible' and 'standard frame' - Standard for what ? the worrying thing is the 'new forks' They're not Inter forks and look like WD pattern. In the absence of NOS, it sounds like someone has built a trackday posing bike with Indian forks.

Just imagine if some poor bugger takes it on the VMCC Manx parade. Kate's Cottage, tuck in and throttle on the stop down to the Creg with nothing holding him up apart from some slaggy cast iron.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

I don't know if you've seen the latest NOC Roadholder magazine Rik..? Someone has made a flat tanker look alike with a WD16H engine and he boasts Indian made girder forks

I still haven't heard of a case of them failing yet though...?

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I had a close look at an M20 set with all the paint blasted off the other day and they were as rough as a rat catchers dog....
I'd rather fit teles than rely on those forks and I think the possibility of a serious failure has to be taken seriously..The standard of workmanship was absolutely appalling.
Personally I wouldn't consider riding a bike with them fitted...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I wouldn't ride one either. Surely the parts have to have some form of heat treatment. I doubt the Indian ones do, there's no way of telling.

I believe that the cobbled together flat-tanker was in 'Real classic' a month or two back as well. To my mind still not advisable to ride on those forks but that bike is at least not going to be used in the same way as a cammy should be.

Personally, having had my heels passing my ears a couple of times on the WD16H, I wouldn't want anything less than original strength (The potholes are deep in Belgium)

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1