Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 1945 - Review

Good morning guys,
I wasn't going to enquire but well why not!
While searching I noticed this WM20 a few days ago on eBay, although their is no picture showing the frame number(picture requested)overall does this have a decent amount of correct parts, of course it has the cut out in the petrol tank, incorrect speedo but if anyone can offer a basic review is it decent enough?
Has a re build plate. Shwoing work done in 1956.

Regards
Scott

A video is also available to watch.
Item number - 321110768584
"BSA WM20 1945 500cc"
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-WM20-1945-500cc-PLEASE-WATCH-VIDEO-/321110768584?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4ac3b17bc8#ht_1351wt_1018

email (option): s-leader@hotmail.co.uk

Re: WM20 1945 - Review

Hi
I'm no M20 expert but here's my twopennuff. Appears to have a Lancashire registration from 1964. The dealer who's selling it has some really overpriced stuff so I think your doing the right thing asking on this forum!

My non expert two pennuth spots unusual seat spring mounts, the wrong dynamo,a non army pillion pad(?), the carrier is not the right one nor the rear lamp, chrome exhaust system, later switch gear and control levers and odd bits of chrome brackets. I always thought the magneto 'bung' in the timing cover had gone by late war. This to me suggests it has had perhaps a bit more chop and change over the years than the ad might suggest, but of course non of these should stop it from running. If it is a runner then it is going to fit the bill for someone, but for me it is too much money at the moment. If you don't mind these 'not quite from the wartime factory' bits, and there are plenty of bikes being ridden around on the circuit that look far worse, then it is ok. If you want it accurate to the last detail then you need to count up how much it is going to cost to do so, add that on to the asking price and you will have a figure that I suspect no M20 would ever achieve. Granted when you do something up you often have to put market values out of your mind and look at things long term - but it can get daft as many on here can tell you ! :-) Me included.

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

Agree with everything btb states, also there's no field stand. I was interested to see that the top pannier frame mount is in the same state that mine was when I got my bike, I've had to weld the lugs and top tube to the frame, in order to allow me to mount the correct pillion seat.
My engine and chassis number is 122534, so probably came from the same contract.
My bike has cost about £2500 in parts alone to date, which has been done up over the last 12 months, it is very rewarding if you do restore it, but you will never recoupe your cost if you have someone else restore it for you, as I wouldn't like to think of how many hours I've spent working on my bike.
At least you would have a fairly good starting point and I'm sure you'll get the bug once you get it.
Julian.

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1