Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just bought an M20....now what?

New M20 owner here and excited! I scored this unrestored unit from a backyard in the bay area. I dont plan to restore, I loke the battle scars. She seems very OE to me but a trained eye will grab the different parts like the brake lever and seat. I have a bunch of old pieces to including a NOS rear wheel in top shape!
I was hoping for some advice on tire and seat spring selection. I want to get the saddle and pad. Back on the bike for a proper runner.
Oh yeah! Popped off second kick !! (p.s. not an old bike rookie here so no dry starts happened during the making of this post)
Parts suppliers? Mainly for the seat springs and a jerry can too!

email (option): denis@drjperformance.com

Re: Just bought an M20....now what?

Your M20 looks to be very similar in condition to mine, when I got it back in 1988. Mine happens to have the postwar registration number of 87 YD 09.

There are probably markings that have been painted over under layers of paint on the gas tank and fenders-careful wet sanding will reveal them-mine had Royal Artillery formation signs on the side of the tank, and "Drive on the Right" in big red letters on the top of the tank. Tyre pressure numbers on the fenders.
Yours looks to have a rebuild tag on the valve cover-let me guess- 4 Base workshop, REME?
after WW2, this workshop was in Bad Oeynhausen,Germany, in the former Eisenwerke Weserhutte factory (this information from the REME Museum of Technology in 2001). Your horn is the same type as was used on wartime German Kubelwagens. Mine has the same type-I've been offered a fair sum for that horn from german vehicle owners. That was what made me guess that yours has been rebuilt in postwar Germany, for use by the British Army on the Rhine (BAOR). Likely the Keycard will show that it was sent to the BAOR after rebuild. Hopefully, someone here can look it up for you after you supply the frame number. With the keycard, and your postwar registration number, you can see what wartime "C" number your bike carried during WW2. There are ways to calculate that number based on the contract and your frame serial number, but the keycard is the best verification. Good Luck with your M20! A few more thoughts: It looks like you have the early "fat" gas tank, without the cutout for the Vokes filter hose. You say you don't want to restore it, but the paint it's wearing there is postwar Bronze Green-that's not the WW2 paint. During WW2, your bike would also (probably) not have had the front fender number plate,either. You are lucky to have the original canvas handgrips,too.

I still wonder how these bikes end up in the USA? I presume the bay area is San Francisco?

nice one denis i prefer the work worn look is there a brass plate about 4/12" x3/12" with the workshop rebuild information useualy in the toolbox if there is could you post or email me a photo of it i am trying to find a genuine one to find out if mine is a copy thank roger

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Since I got my first one in '88, I've seen at least 30 others in this general area of Michigan, mainly unrestored. suprisingly, almost none of them were "civilianized"-they were still in military paint,just as they had been auctioned off.
I really can't say exactly how they got here, but one of mine came from a local British bike dealer, who bought a group of 6 M20s that had been stored in a barn. They were all complete, with metal "Douane" tags on them, painted all over in Bronze Green (even the engine), with "Lot number 129" stenciled on the top of the gas tank. They came with a big box of original tools, most with British military stores tags, and a stack of canvas pannier bags for them.

Don't know about you but I would ride it.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

trevor
Don't know about you but I would ride it.

I have been and it runs great! I appreciate all the info. I will take more pictures when I get home tonight.
I am not sure where or how it entered the US. This one spent the majority of its life in a basement in Illinois along with another bike that is in the hands of the sellers son. He wouldn't sell that one.

The tire pressures are there, there is markings on the top of the tank and I have to look again for the plate in the toolbox. Very busy tool kit too.

photo 20130409_194056_zps6a32db76.jpg
 photo 20130409_194033_zps88fe4270.jpg

Frame number is ver difficult to make out. I gather the frame is 1944 and the engine is 1942

You got a tool kit with it? please take some photos of that-especially if there is a canvas bag with them.

Since it has the rebuild tag on the valve cover, all previous rebuild tags were removed at that time. You may notice rivet holes in the rear fender or in the toolbox.

This is very exciting

The frame number on your bike has been removed and restamped, note the flat area under the numbers.

The keycard for 50 YD 09 doesn't show a frame or engine number but it states that the serial number (c number on the tank) is 1415278 which appears to be what you have stamped on your frame and this is the first time I've ever seen this done.

The keycard also says your bike was from contract C9310 which may mean it has a brass contract plate on it? these are usually on the rear mudguard.

Before being sold off it was in 16 BVD BAOR B41 (Base Vehicle Depot British Army On the Rhine)

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

There is an adjustable wrench not pictured. Very unique. Grease gun is in the socket

Those are the same tools and the same canvas roll that came with my M20. You have a very nice,almost complete set of the tools that were issued with an M20.
My canvas roll was dated 1944,with a broad arrow mark. Does yours have any markings? The manual shows a different sort of bag for the tools, but it seems to be very elusive-of all the M20s I've ever seen with original tools,they all had your type of canvas roll. There is at least one wartime photo of a DR working on a 16H Norton with this roll spread out next to him.

Denis, congratulations on the M20. What a prize to find this one so untouched since it's time in the military, and running. I'm here in the SF Bay Area as well with a 1942 M20. Drop me a note directly to my email address. Where are you exactly in the bay area? Happy to help in any way I can with your new motorbike.

Mark

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

Denis, I live in the UK and imported one from most likely the same batch 3 years ago, it was up and running in Florida, There are other bikes nearby, will post pics shortly, Seems a large batch was sold off at a European auction around 1964 and many were shipped to the USA,all appears to have been rebuilt before long term storage,There are inspection dates all-over the tank dated 1952 onwards this matches the rebuild plate, These bikes as well as huge amounts of soft skin and armour were kept on the Rine in case the russkies invaded and then sold off as no longer deemed sevicable,Mine had a new engine fitted, the engine no is unstamped, interesting mine also has the German war time horn, may be the factory had unused stocks of these, there is also the Export custom's metal label still on the forks You have an Original bike Painted in the post war green , paint I suggest you Lightly restore and RIDE, take care Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1