Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wellington Bomber wings anyone?

Any Wellington fans out there? I've just learnt of the whereabouts of a pair of Wellington bomber wings supporting a roof apparently they are NOS ones that were left over at the end of the war, I haven't seen them myself but I'm assured by a few people that they are definately there. If anyone wants them the roof would have to be replaced by the purchaser. They are close to where they were manufactured originally, I haven't approached the landlord of the premises yet but if anyone is serious about them I will make contact and try to chase them up, now would be agood time to get them as I believe the premises are empty at present and although the roof isn't leaking and is supposed to be in good condition, I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind a new roof on there! As the building isn't in too good condition overall I'm concerned that it may be demolished and lost forever.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Wellington Bomber wings anyone?

hi i have sent you a e mail
karl

Hi Dave,apparently there is only one left in the world now,im sure these guys would love a heads up on your unique find,
http://www.bfbs.com/news/england/restoring-last-surviving-wellington-bomber-its-former-glory-39454.html
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I think we may have found a home for them, if the landlord is interested, I'm interested to see them, if I can get some pictures I'll post them on here, the logistics will be quite an undertaking, removing the roof and replacing it and a crane to get them down, a low loader to get them off site etc!

I have a original RAF instruction book on the Wellington bomber and its very interesting, I got it from my late brother, who was in the RAF but I don't think he worked on them. There is a fine example of a Wellington in the Brooklands museum, this one was found in a loch in Scotland and recovered and although all the fabric was gone, the frame was in excellent condition and the navigation lights still worked.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

I know where there is a Dakota in need of a new home in the UK, She is a non-flyer, in pretty good shape, complete and there for restoration.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Update! I have managed to contact the landlords son and he seems to be amenable to the idea of removing them and John Coombes from the Museum of Aviation and Aircraft manufacturing and myself have been frantically trying to sort them as a "rescue" mission as the building is scheduled to be demolished very shortly.
The wings are apparently prototype ones and although they have no fabric on them they are in excellent condition with all their control wires intact. I will post pictures as soon as we have been to see them.

Well done that man!

email (option): cruiserchooser@hotmail.co.uk

btb
Well done that man!

I'll second that, If not for Dave's efforts they could have been lost.
Ordinary Wellingtons are extremely rare, but major components of a prototype is amazing!

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Would Airbus Industrie at Broughton be interested in helping with funding, transport etc as their factory is where the wings were made???

Its the same site where the wings for the A380 are made so they may see the project as an opportunity for favourable publicity. (Old meets New sort of thing)

We appear to have sorted everything through the mates network, including a crane, temporary storage if needed and even the low loader. We are just waiting for approval from the owner of the site, his son dosen't think there will be a problem, so fingers crossed!!

Awesome Dave thats brilliant, well done.

I adore geodesic. I visited Brooklands again after the last Kempton Park and the Loch Ness Wellington there never ceases to impress.

That a slow old twin engined bomber was still in production up until 1945 speaks volumes for the quality of the airframe.

Anyone whose interested in Wimpeys would be well advised to read the 1961 classic 'The Pitcher & the well'. It details the exploits of New Zealand crews flying out of Scotland in search of the Tirpitz.

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

I went out to the place today with the Aviation museums John Coombes and RAF Cosfords curator to have a look at the wings. We met the landlord at the gate and he let us in, he took us to the room the wings were in and we looked up dissappointedly -they weren't Wellington wings !!! After the instant let down of not seeing aluminium framework but wooden ones, the question arose as to what they were off, and it appears after a few phone calls to the landlords friend and other people we concluded that they weren't from a Wellington, but a DeHavilland, until more research has been done we can't be sure what type, but it is believed that the data plates were retained by the previous owner of the building and he even has the name of the man that made them.
The construction of them was interesting because despite them looking like they were solid, they were actually hollow in construction, they had all the rigging wires and brackets on place, there was also some of the linen still attached here and there.
We are now awaiting the information on the data plates to tell us what model they are off.
What was nice that despite me being misinformed, they did turn out to be potentially rarer
 photo IMAG0796_zpsd92a5ab8.jpg
 photo IMAG0795_zpsfb05f686.jpg
 photo IMAG0794_zps8ed299c9.jpg
 photo IMAG0793_zps2b353422.jpg
 photo IMAG0792_zpsacdd6116.jpg

The wings are famous now. Well Done Dave !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-25117045

Nice work Dave!

email (option): findingsteveo@hotmail.com

Well done Dave for identifying that as wings at all..! It just looks like a shed roof to me

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Have you seen page 10 of the Febraury 2014 issue of Aeroplane magazine? It covers the story of these wings in detail.

I haven't, could you scan and email it to me, I wasn't aware that anything had happened with them yet
Dave

It's winging it's way to you now Dave.

Got it!

Great story and a great find Dave, the guys at the Lincs Aviation Museum have some Wimpy ones I think. The Airfields around me where all OTU's all with Wimpies, the a water tower at Mursley is well known and has a memorial next to it as it is on the direct flight path into RAF Little Horwood if you look on a map, it ended one unfortunate crews career when they flew into it and night doing bumps..The closest I have to large aircraft parts are 3 propeller blades which are in my dining room, they came from RAF Ivy Church from a B-17G limping back from a mission over Europe, sadly I don't know which one (the same used on a Dakota) They are extremely heavy solid ali, hard to imagine them sitting on a 1200hp radial..even harder to imagine what it must have been like when they separated from an engine at 15k ft, slicing through wing and fuselage.

I've got a single wooden blade from Lancaster in my living room. A mate of mines Dad bought an old ex RAF Leyland at auction in the 1960s and they weren't tidied up or emptied first, you got what you were given. When he got his lorry, the back was full of crates of brand new prop blades. He chopped most of them up for firewood and only kept a handful, one of which I was lucky enough to get hold of.

According to the current edition of "Flypast" magazine, the wings are actually rarer than a Wellington..........seems they're from a British WW1 bomber, the Handley Page 0/400..............and these old crates actually bombed Germany in 1918....!! :o) No complete HP 0/400 survives today, although 2 x WW2 Wellingtons do.........

Bill, if it ever needs a new home....can't find one anywhere and I've looked for years. Seems like it wasn't just vehicles that were chopped up, left in hedges efc...

email (option): Kit247@hotail.com

I know that an airborne glider was used as a chicken house some years ago at a farm not so far from me.

Nieuwe pagina 1