Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic. what are these guys driving?

& what's this cool 3 wheel racer .. note the lever on the outside of the body..throttle? & what's the bicycle pump on top of the bonnet for.. makeshift oil pressure ?

Re: Off topic. what are these guys driving?

No idea who made the WW1 German army signals pigeonmobile.

3 wheeler appears to be a Morgan with 8 valve Anzani engine.
Probably a Brooklands racer
Lever is probably for throttle
Pump may be for pressurising fuel tank

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Ok thanks, love the early white rubber tyres.
yes all makes sense if fuel can't be gravity fed.
My father raced cycles & tricycles at brooklands in the 30's but nothing powered.
He said 3 wheels made the most of the terrible surface
: D

White is rubber's natural colour which means these tyres were grippy! Various compounds of carbon were added to make them more durable as they would of worn out very quickly. I think chalk or china clay was added to the white tyres in an attempt to make them more durable. These days we just presume that rubber is black because most things made from it are black. I wonder what was added to wartime rubber to make it go further?
As for three wheelers, in theory they should be very stable as milking stools always have three legs, as they will touch the ground with every leg, but I think you add a bit of G force and suspension and you end up with with quite an unstable device!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I did alot of homework on tyre history a few years back & the reasons for moving away from white tyres.
I've always thought of rubber as white myself both from erasers & from the fact the stuff that drips from a rubber tree looks white.
I was also interested to read a while back that Charles Goodyear the Inventor of vulcanizing had no connection to the Goodyear Tyre company, the company was simply named Goodyear in honour of him.

3 Wheelers are fine when you have a wheel each side to brake onto & steer with ie. two wheels at the front, its those horrendously dangerous "one wheel at the front" type that I don't want to drive.
(Having said that I've had 2 Bond Bugs over the years)

You've not still got them have you? I'd love to have one of those at some time!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Het Derde Wiel

Cycle Fred

3 Wheelers are fine when you have a wheel each side to brake onto & steer with ie. two wheels at the front

I bet they can tip when fully laden with 'Friesche koe'

photo yQCxfXnh_zps734c9f68.jpg

Re: Het Derde Wiel

Rik, Aerodynamics & retailing were never happy bedfellows: D

Dave, I had one (B.Bug) for a about a year in the early 80's & enjoyed having it so about 10yrs ago I bought another one & ground up restored it, all the body transfers & many previously hard to get parts are now being produced.
I've since sold it to fund other projects.
They are fun.. VERY fun! .. partly because of the danger & partly because of the ridiculous design & production anomalies.
Note, those pictures above I stumbled across when I was researching BSA 3 wheelers after seeing the one currently on eBay, my offer for it wasn't successful though.

Nieuwe pagina 1