Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some photos of my M20 restoration to date, Part 7

Been a little while, but with such a lovely day, I decided to get the bike roled out the garage for the first time, to see it in daylight instead of the flourescent tube of a garage, as has been witnessed for the last 11 months:
 photo P1030166_zps93f7657d.jpg
 photo P1030160_zps40ba347d.jpg
 photo P1030172_zpsaeb6c9d4.jpg
 photo P1030183_zps5a907db6.jpg
Levers and cables to be purchased next week and then I should be in a position to fire it up.
Need pillion and matching rider saddle covers, but I think it's nearly there, I've given myself to October but I hope to see a bit of the summer riding it?
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Re: Some photos of my M20 restoration to date, Part 7

This is fantastic. well done. It's great watching the bike grow and it looks lovely. Thanks for this and all best luck with next stages. looking forward to episode 8. this is a lot better than any of the soaps!!! all best peter

Hi,Julian looking good. When you have cables fitted and fire it up I bet you have it finished before october Once you hear it run you,ll want it finished.Just finished my B33 this is the last standard bike I,ll build then I,m onto building specials as price of original parts are getting scarce and scary plus I have enough standard bikes.I think a M20 is a good choice for a first rebuild much more satisfying than a bantam and a good supply of parts also you have a good site for information Dave

Couldn't agree more Dave, an M20 is a great bike to restore as parts are available and you have a bit of leniency in the restoration as it isn't all chrome and the paintwork hasn't got to be that high a standard.
I know what your saying with the finish of this bike and think I will scream if it starts okay.
Would love to do another bike on the back of this, just have to hope the finish goes well with this one.
Julian

A quick question.
Now that the bike has been re-wired and the original bike was unused since 1977, do I need to re-polarize the dynamo and is this something to be done just prior to trying to start the bike or could it get done now?

Julian

It doesn't matter when you do it Julian! The details are here.

http://www.wdbsa.nl/lucas_dynamo.htm

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Julian – the bike looks great – well done. Re flashing the gene as the instructions say connect D and F together and earth the body of the gene to the negative then just flash the wire onto the battery pos wire – just a quick touch is all that is needed and best not to spark onto the battery terminal as batteries give off hydrogen and oxygen which can explode if in the right mix! – it leaves a residual flux in the core which starts the generation when fired up. I do part time work on big 28 V generators and sometimes one will start generating after many years nonuse and others wont and need flashing after a few months disuse. Make sure the brushes are free in their holders if the gene hasnt been used for years.
Regards
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Thanks Doug,
Really good info, will be giving it a go next weekend.
Julian

Just been going through the old photos of the original build of my bike when I had it and interested to see how the Voltage Regulator was mounted to the mudguard. Should there be a nut (as seen in the snipped image of my original bike) between the regulator and the mudguard, or should the regulator get mounted straight to the mudguard?
 photo OriginalRegulatorMount_zps5f61ec45.png

Julian

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Julian,

There should be a washer and a half width nut under the regulator. Next there should be a rubber ring and the regulator will fit on top of the rubber top provide some dampening.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Thanks Leon, now that makes sense.
Will see what I can source.

Julian

I'm guessing that I could use plain old rubber tap washers as the damper?

Julian

Woow two mistakes at least in a few sentences that must be a record for me. Of course I mean damping not dampening.

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Just machined some 15mm rubber tap washers with a 6.5mm hole to mount the regulator, next time i'm going to punch the hole out as drilling it in a collet chuck was just a little bit fiddly.
Will do the job nicely though and will at least mount the regulator safely.
Thanks again Leon.
Julian

Been a bit of a day with the exhaust down pipe finally re-worked with the new bracket that mounts it to the frame as the original bracket was to short by 15mm.

At last the down pipe fits and with the aid of the buffing wheel the stainless bracket has managed to polish up a treat.
 photo P1030184_zps96ee2dd0.jpg
 photo P1030189_zpse8a7813c.jpg
 photo P1030186_zps910bef47.jpg
Julian

I like the bullit hits on your the side of your oil tank and toolbox...
Very nice job! I'm sure you'll get in on the road somewhere this season.

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

You've got to keep a few of the battlescars on it, allows for a good yarn in a tavern somewhere I'm sure.
Julian

Finding this a very hard decision, do I get the stainless exhaust vapour blasted, it looks great as natural finish and can see it being allot easier to polish than when it's vapour blasted. Does it stay or does it go to the blasters?
Julian

It's too shiny, get it blasted :-)
You don't want to polish it.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Does anyone use Castrol Valvemaster Lead Replacement Petrol Additive to their fuel, and is it recommended for these bikes, hope to have mine running in the next couple of weeks and would like to ensure the fuel is going to be right from the start whilst running it back in.

Julian

Hi Julian,

Just use unleaded 95 regular gas. No additions needed.
These bikes run on 'salad oil'. Keep in mind that these bikes were used in times when fuel was scarce and were of poor quality, so they run on octane 65 if nothing better is available. Therefore you will ask for problems if you keep the margins of moving engine parts too narrow like some 'modern minded experts' try to achieve....they're just constructed for all circumstances and easy maintenance.

You will also find out that this side valve engine will get so bloody hot that it frightens you......no worries just get used to it.

Regards,

Sven

Thanks Sven,

Really good to know as I have never seen or had any experience of this bike actually running.
Saves allot of hassle messing aroound with additives, so again thanks for the detail.
I was thinking this engine is going to get very hot, being air cooled, are there any tell tale signs to be wary of if you are in traffic and it starts getting too hot, reason I'm asking this is that there is a very large bike run in Octoboer that I would like to join in with, but I know it's a slow process getting all 5000 bikes out the service station carpark onto the motorway, and even my GSXR 1000 had the fan running continuously to keep cool, Harleys would continusuously have to stop and cool down while they wait for some movement.

Julian

Don't worry Julian,

Just think of all the DR's in WW2 who had to lead a very slow convoy in the desert of North Africa. I suggest you read the books 'a civillian in uniform,''Commando Despatch Rider,' and 'To war on two wheels' to get an idea of how things went back then. For your protection you can wear high boots or even better, original DR boots..it's looks nicer too!

IMG-20120707-WA0001

The only issue you will struggle with (like we all do) is that E10 is added to modern fuel. E=Ethanol and it attracks water and water=rust. So if you don't use your bike for a while or add fresh fuel you can expect some nasty like leakages or solving tank coatings..

However, BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power don't have E10 added so for your 10 trips around the block you know what to do....

Regards,
Sven

Hi Julian, the best is yet to come! Riding it! Pre starting a rebuilt engine I think Ian Wright's plan's the way to go. Check it all over, get the ignition timing spot on, then remove the plug and kick it over until the oil returns to the tank. Get your breath back and start up. Oil changes at 10 miles, 100 miles, 500 miles then every 1000/1500 miles. As for ethanol The UK only has E5 5% ethanol so far, most petrol and some super unleadeds including V power have got it in. Just go for branded fuel from a busy garage and ride a lot.

Cheers Pat

Ps If your right leg gets really hot back off a bit!

Back to the Generator, I'm a little unsure if the D&F connectors on the generator cap were ever wired correctly, is there a test I can do to check or has anyone got any photos of how their cap is wired on the generator?

Hi Julian,

The internal conections are D to the dynamo brush, the other brush should he earthed. F on the cap should go to one of the field coil wires, the other field coil wire is earthed internaly. I would take the dynamo off the bike and clean it and see if it runs as a motor. To do this connect F & D together put this to the live of your battery which ever way you have the bike wired. Then connect the earth side of the battery to the body of the dynamo. It should run as a motor rotating in the same direction as it is driven. Do this first and you are in with a good chance of it running a charge. The charging system on a Mag dyno BSA is so simple just take your time and ask us questions if you get stuck.

Tim Walker

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Thanks Tim.
Just also rpolarised the generator and all is now set for the morning to fire her up.
Julian

Nieuwe pagina 1