Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clutch seals

My 41 WM20 has had a clutch slip when cold for a while now and have stripped it out to find oil inside clutch drum (gear oil).Looks like the cork seals for pushrod /mainshaft need replacing also the cover gasket.Has anyone tried a alternative material for the cork seals, maybe silicon tube which is a good fit onto shaft or just shorten the original cork seal for mainshaft and fit a O ring either end ? The pushrod seal is easy I,ll just punch out a new seal from a thick sheet of cork. Any ideas would be welcome... Dave

Re: Clutch seals

There's a guy here stateside that makes a (as we Americans say) bitchin' seal for a Norton pushrod. A similar idea could be adapted/

http://www.doov.com/apps/nortoncompanion/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:dyno-daves-clutch-rod-seal&catid=1:upgrades&Itemid=8

I have one on my 1960 Dominator, and it (as you Brits say) the dog's bollocks.

Or the dogs danglers.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi, Kevin thanks for info but the M20 already has a seal for clutch pushrod just need to make up a new cork or fit a O ring to stop oil creeping into clutch .For the mainshaft seal I think I will reface the worn cork sleeve then fit a O ring inside the clutch hub to make up the difference in length ..Dave

Hi Dave..On M20s I've worked on I have found that the clutch cover frequently lets the oil in when it is not flat on the joint face...On my own bikes I haven't used the cork ring in the clutch sleeve, the pushrod seal or the tapered felt washer that goes on the mainshaft for years....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, will check cover for fit, I have cleaned all parts ready for reassembly.I think the oil was gearbox oil entering into clutch from pushrod though.The clutch only slipped on accelerating when cold otherwise it was perfect but annoying.I really like the design of the single spring clutches just need to keep oil out.Also just done the clutch on my B33 this is a four spring triumph with a shock absorber that had broken up allowing spider to rattle around,just got rid of rest of rubbers and cleaned it up and welded spider into centre,this will do till I find a solid centre.just trying to get all the small jobs done before the summer comes if it ever gets here Dave..

I use black motor silicone only on clutch cover (also primary case wich is very warped) and no problems. My method is put silicone on, fix it lightly and let it dry, then tighten.

All back together just got back from a 30 mile blast didnt realise how bad the slip really was, No leaks from primary yet! Although sun was shining its still bloody cold Dave....

I'm looking for a crapped out M20 single spring clutch basket/chain wheel so I can adapt a wet plate Honda clutch to it. Any one have one to part with?

I did one for my 41 G3L and let me tell you, it's a bitchin nice set up. Cheap and cheerful as the Honda clutch complete cost me $12.00 and $15.00 for freight!

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi robb

Have you got any info on that conversion ?

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1