Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
saddle frame ID help

Hello all.
I have this saddle frame in need of restoration. It obviously have had rubber band matress but front end is different compared to the Lycetts aero elastic. It is fixed with two rivets directly to the frame. Also spring mounts are some sort universal with three holes. What make it is? Thanks

photo _MG_0673_zpsa0b706e5.jpg

photo _MG_0675_zps79dd9945.jpg

photo _MG_0674_zps1110c299.jpg

Re: saddle frame ID help

Interesting, I can't identify

Your saddle frame has provision for "universal" type saddle mounting brackets, which suggests late war when saddles were standardised and different plates were bolted on to get front mount and rear springs in correct places for various different machines.
Conflictingly, the "lore" tells us all universal saddles used springs (presumably due to rubber shortage)

I think we can safely say it is not a Terry, Lycett may still be a possibility.

Possibly it is one of the more obscure UK makes of Universal WD saddles.

Also possible is Continental manufacture, either for Continental machines, or specifically for the repair of captured British machines (as was believed done with other parts such as the brass end covers for Lucas generator, apparently of German manufacture)

Have you had a close look for a name or number stamped into frame?

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

No numbers found yet. Frame itself and front piece (both left and right ends are broken) is very much like Lycett, Odd things are how it is fixed to the frame and spring mounts.

This seems like an early saddle to me as it take the rubber springs instead of the steel springs. You can only find these on early or rather pre-war motorcycles.

I have such a saddle for my 1940 BSA but mine has slightly different spring brackets. Yours might come from a Norton 16H as these had similar slightly different saddles from mine.

Henk.

photo LycettBSAM20Dunkirkphoto.jpg

photo IMG_9466.jpg

photo IMG_9465.jpg

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Problem is that with this front end fixing design rubbers of both edges does not follow frame line (not parrallel) Rivets and holes are original no doubt because holes are bored before bending the frame.

Hi Kalle,

I have exact the same frame, it has the frontpiece still riveted on the frame. If you compare you can see that your frontpiece has 4 holes cut off. And indeed the elastics (when fitted) or not parallel to the saddle frame

photo SAM_5014_zpsd8eaaf00.jpg

Good luck, Michiel

Yes both corners are broken off from frontpiece, edges of the holes are still visible. Do you have any idea about year or make of your saddle?
Is there something else what ties elastics together or is it saddle cover?

Hi Kalle, The outer elastics on Henks saddle seems to run a little to the inside and as your saddle nose is longer I would think it could be made almost parallel with the frame if you would fit hooks with a bit more length.

I guess these saddles are mid/late 30's. Also remember seeing a picture of a (Kostas??) Norton with this riveted nosepiece, Have asked Rik about these frames and he suggested to ask Kostas which I haven't done yet.

Regards, Michiel

Hi
I remember somebody had drawing for hooks here in the forum. I really would like to have it. And lengths for elastics too.

Michiel - NL
Also remember seeing a picture of a (Kostas??) Norton with this riveted nosepiece, Have asked Rik about these frames and he suggested to ask Kostas which I haven't done yet.

Here's mine aero Lycett saddle after I had it sandblasted...

photo IMG_0708_zps419ae1f0.jpg

and complete missing its cover...

photo 2811a662.jpg

Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

kalle
Hi
I remember somebody had drawing for hooks here in the forum. I really would like to have it. And lengths for elastics too.

Let me have your email Kalle and I'll send it to you!

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Thanks to all.
Kostas, you have probably fastest online service in the world if somebody desperately needs Lycette rubber clip drawing on sunday night:)
Thank you!

Nieuwe pagina 1