Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Idle Thoughts

Reading the WDM20 driver's handbook, page 37, idle stop, it says:

If it is desired that the engine should continue "idling" with the throttle lever closed , the position of the throttle valve must be set by means of the throttle stop screw, the throttle lever being in the "closed position" during this adjustment. Alternatively, if the screw is adjusted clear of the throttle valve, the engine will be shut off in the normal way by the control.

Just wondering if anyone has their bike setup so the engine will not idle, the book makes it sound like this is the normal type of setup.

Re: Idle Thoughts

Can't think of a good reason for that. It would put me on edge at the traffic lights in today's traffic. I prefer to have my bike ticking over with a shut twist grip and able to slow the tick-over down with the retard lever. I also prefer to have the friction spring adjusted so that my twist grips stay were I put them, and not spring shut. Just my own preference!! Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Can't think of a good reason for that. It would put me on edge at the traffic lights in today's traffic. I prefer to have my bike ticking over with a shut twist grip and able to slow the tick-over down with the retard lever. I also prefer to have the friction spring adjusted so that my twist grips stay were I put them, and not spring shut. Just my own preference!! Ron

I could not agree more with Ron's comments, cannot think of a worst thing than the bike stopping every time i closed the throttle. I also like the sound of a well setup M with a strong magneto and the lever retarded with a realy low tickover.

Tim W

I seem to remember someone telling me that adjusting the carb to cut the engine was used by racers to get maximum engine braking effect.

Probably not an issue with an M20, even with sometimes marginal brakes.

I too like the sound of a slow regular tickover but I quickly start to worry about the amount of oil circulating

Cheers
Pete

I like a 'snap shut' throttle myself...I left my M20 ticking over outside the workshop for about 20 minutes yesterday to get it nicely warmed up..lovely background music..quite relaxing ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1