Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unknown Wheel

I picked up this wheel this morning, it has a WD 1944 3.25 x 19 tyre, under the dust it is painted green, is it bike related or maybe a trailer wheel of some sort ?
 photo wdw.jpg
 photo wdw1.jpg

Regards Gary

Re: Unknown Wheel

Trailer or unbraked sidecar wheel I'd have thought...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Airborne hand cart?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Here is my Airborne handcart. I'm quite sure the wheels used for these are ex side car. 325x19! Ron

photo C4_zps40720cf4.jpg

photo C7_zpsb0e9d2b6.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I expect a lot of sidecar hubs and airborne handcart hubs were made by the same company but there may be a way of telling what this wheel was used for.

I had a pair of airborne hand cart wheels a couple of years ago and they had bicycle style cup and cone bearings with loose balls.

But I suspect that most sidecar wheels had gone over to taper roller bearings in the late 30s.

So Gary are there any inner bearing parts left in your hub?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

As late as the mid 1970's similar 19" wheels and hubs with ball and cone bearings were being built and supplied to hospitals. Presumably for patient transfer trolleys/stretchers.

Presumably the big wheels eased the trolley and patient's passage at hospitals which still had unconnected or not smoothly connected multiple buildings.

As apprentices, we learned to make spokes, build, true wheels and fit tyres by making up hundreds of these. The hubs had a screw on cap with spanner hex, and came completely assembled with stub axle, no idea how the plain parallel shaft was mounted to trolley, possibly clamped or welded.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Thankyou for all your replies, close up of the hub below, I've got a feeling I have another one of these wheels somewhere in the shed, I'll look it out.

photo wdhub2.jpg

photo wdhub.jpg

Regards Gary

Nieuwe pagina 1