Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front brake cable

Hi,

I found this photo on eBay item 281089599028.

Was this also a way of routing the f.brake cable?...

photo BSAFRONT_zps34408f5e.jpg

Noam.

email (option): Noam10@gmail.com

Re: Front brake cable

Yes .
The fittings were originally for a solid rod which is why they look odd.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Noam,

The bottom parts is the early front brake rod not a cable. The cable adjuster is attached to the lug on the forks which is left on later M20's although it has no use.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Thanks guys.

I knew that there was a solid rod system there,
But never saw this cable setup.

Only saw cases with people who routed the regular cable through it,
just using it as a routing secure loop..

Noam.

email (option): Noam10@gmail.com

Noam. I think you are mistaking the lower bent rod for a cable Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I have one of these rods that came with my 1947 XM20 i know its too old for my M20. The rod i have is partly seized and have never known what the box at the bottom of the rod is for, i can rotate it about 90 degrees and it appears to shorten the rod a lot. Surely the adjustment for the brake would have been on the forks where the cable meets the rod. Is it some kind of a way of locking the brake on or to give it more slack? I gather that this set up with the rod would have been pre war.

Tim W

Is there anyone selling a complete, well made, replica of the rod operated brake parts?.(Cornucopia doesn't have all of it, or at least they didn't have the last time I enquired)..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Tim, if you mean the quick release mechanism, the cylinder part has a spring in it & you lift the "washer" part below it against the spring & you can then remove the rod from the lower part.
its very over the top design really to make the rod quick release as you need tools when removing the wheel so its just as simple to undo the little screw & nut.

Ian, mine was incomplete & I got the top parts at Stamford hall from someone making them.
the bottom parts I had to pay silly money for used ones. I don't know of anyone who makes the complete assembly.

Thanks Cycle Fred, that makes it clear what i have i will try to free it off. If you want it to copy Ian drop me a mail.
Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Hi Tim..I'll mail you...Ian

I have a spare one of the part the screws on the top end of the rod (held with a lock nut & is what holds the cables nipple) if anyone needs picture or measurements.

Hi Fred...I may take you up on that. I've mailed Tim to see what he has available..Do you have the complete assy. for that end of the brake rod.?...Ian

I have just that part on a bit of brake rod which I went & found after reading this thread.
I do have the whole assembly on a bike so anything you don't get I can measure.
I run a cable on one girder bike & rod on another & the direct comparison is that I very much like the rod brake.

Some pictures of front brake  photo 100_2755_zps178fa0c3.jpg On the 1940 bsa there is no speedometer Hole it is on the other side look for the next picture Greating Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

photo 100_2753_zpsc1e59f7a.jpg There is olso not a cable adjuster hole on the front brakeplate In the first picture you see on the rigth side a hole for the click system to fit the left item Gr. Theo

I hope to complete this item with enoug pictures the first M20 where olso fited with this brakes photo 100_2754_zpseda8d219.jpg Greating Theo

Some years back the complete dimensions of this brake rod & fittings was somewhere on this site. Cant find it now tho. Hamish.

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

You can find the brake rod drawings on this page.

Henk

http://www.gerardenneeltje.nl/bsa.htm

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Also bear in mind that the rod will only work with "short" fork.
If you have "long" fork fitted you will have to make a special long rod.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Thanks Henk...The drawings only appear to show the parts at the brake arm end and there are a couple of dimensions omitted as well...Neale..What are the two fork lengths measured from the lower link spindle to the c/line of the wheel spindle?...I need to note that for reference...Ian

Ian,
As per previous post
My measurements:
Short fork 420mm (16.5” by tape measure from centre of lower link to centre of axle.

Long fork 435mm (17.125” by tape measure from centre of lower link to centre of axle, and confirmed by Henk's drawing).

But Ron Pier gets 16 5/8" for short fork (422.275MM)and no one seems to have a drawing.

As the folklore says there is .5" difference, and length of mudguard spacer is .5", perhaps Ron's dimension is more accurate?

I will try to make time to re-measure my short forks.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Thanks Neale...My bike is 41 and has the short forks I think, though I have a NOS set I haven't measured yet which I am planning to fit when I rebuild it later in the Summer...Of course any bike could have either set of forks if it has been through the REME workshops a few times and has spent a few decades on 'civvy street'...Do you know in what year the change was officially made from the short forks to the longer ones?...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1