Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
cleaning red paint from inside petrol tank?

My 43/44 WM20 has what appears to be red lead paint lining the fuel tank. I understand that has proven problematic with modern fuels, right? Should I definately remove the stuff before I fuel up my bike for the first time? If so, what's a good solvent? I'm thinking acetone.

Also, is it absolutely necessary to line the tank? Mine looks surprisingly rust free.

Kevin

Re: cleaning red paint from inside petrol tank?

Hi Kevin
this might sound stupid.... but are you sure it is red paint ?

"Tapox" is a tank sealant which is impervious to modern fuels and is coloured red...could it have been sealed already?

email (option): g.gilbert946@btinternet.com

Good point. There are some edges that are lifing, so I assumed it was paint.I'll take a picture of it and post it here.

I did one of my tanks with 'Tapox' and the colour is a 'dead ringer' for red oxide....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

My tank which was in its original post-war civilianisation burgundy colour also appears to have a red lead coating inside. It seems impervious to everything. Certainly E5 has had no effect on it. If the tank isn't rusty then why not try rinsing it throroughly and then putting a gallon of fuel in it for a week. If the paint softens then you've found your solvent...

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Got the same inside my tank. Took the view that if the tank wasn't leaking then run it a while with in-line filters until the red gunk stops blocking them.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1