Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton 16H girder fork bump stops

Hi All..anyone got a pair of the bolt on girder fork bump stops for sale please..or know where I can get some .Many Thanks Andy B

email (option): marian.andrew@btopenworld.com

Re: Norton 16H girder fork bump stops

http://www.racingnorton.co.uk/shop/article_0218%2520Gird%252F001/Girder-Fork---Rubber-Bump-Stops.html?sessid=QURgSFAqV6ESI7AAV6DoYIN10nP8Sb3vDHytlmjKB0Xy4IzrAUJmAgHOPNj6TXSS&shop_param=cid%3D64%26aid%3D0218%2520Gird%http://www.sumpmagazine.com/classicbikenews/news-december-2011.htm#sorn%26

Are these whst you are looking for?
I bought some stuff from them and found the service very good

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Hello Peter, Andy

Looking at the advert, it can only be for the actual rubber parts.
For this price you will not likely find the metal parts.
They are very difficult to find and it took me years to find a pair.
Some people are however much more lucky or aggresive in their search?

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

At Kempton Park auto jumble about 18 months ago, I was luck enough to meet up with Rik, who memorises every 16H part he sees. He took me to a French bloke who seems to sell only 16H parts and I got mine from him.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I heard yesterday that Alain Touchet's remaining stock has been sold to Mark Upham at 'British Motorcycles Austria'. This is likely to mean that they'll be properly catalogued and to an extent more accessible but it will mean less hidden gems and certainly won't result in a reduction in prices...

I found no NOS Norton parts at Kempton yesterday. It was a bit cold for rummaging though.

email (option): 79x100@gmail.com

Gents

Looking at the prices of British only Austria gives enough fears.
It looks like the British guys coming across the Channel have found a good harvesting ground in Germany and Austria. Certainly German prices for British parts are much higher than in other parts on the continent.

I must say the prices from Alain were also not so attractive anymore last time I bought something from him.
I did however find a "rare" pre 1939 gearbox change mechanism arm and I guess as Rik says these finds will be over.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Well that's a shame that Alain has sold out to Upham. A nicer bloke you couldn't wish to meet. However I think between me, Rik, Horror and Lex. We cleared him of the last usable pairs of bump stop castings. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron,

Am I the latest victim of this complot.......??

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Ron, I didn't buy any bump stops from him but there are one or two parts that I'm waiting for the Austro-German market prices to increase on before I relaase them....

It will indeed be a shame if Alain isn't at the jumbles any more. With him as well, I always knew that I'd come home with something worthwhile.

I searched through all his Norton 'exhaust' valves at Stafford but didn't find a single exhaust valve...they were all inlets...I forsee exhaust valve failures in some Norton owners futures.. ...As Confuscious said..'The man seeking a Norton exhaust valve must first find a magnet'..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, the WD16H had identical parts (No. 9120) for both inlet and exhaust. They seem to have introduced austenitic valves for the 1938 pattern engine (as per the WD Big4)but they remained identical (but changed to part no. 8934)

I have a suspicion that my use of the austenitic later pattern valve in the early non-oiled iron guides might have been part of my initial problem.

That said, I had the impression that what Alain had left in terms of valves and guides was pretty much the bottom of a box that came from who-knows-where...Portugese Fire Brigade probably and where did they source spares ?

I remember that Alain had a string of bump stops on a length of wire and we had to sort through them to find the left and right hand pairs. I'm sure I had the last of these pairs and sent them to someone overseas. Might have been Kostas??

Ron

No, not me! Both my 16Hs came with their fork bump stops...

email (option): Ferrarakias@hotmail.com

I was looking for a Big 4 exhaust valve actually, so wanted the non magnetic type... (Which was why I had the magnet)...The French guy told me they were what I was looking for...As it happens I found a NOS one (the only one at Stafford?) on another stall....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

It was me Ron.........still bankrupt..

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I have two genuine Norton wd16H NOS exhaust valves (NM9120) that are now going to be put in my banks safe deposit box!

Keith, the lack of NOS is not the end of the world. G&S valves make good quality plasma-coated replacements. Original valve guides with provenance are becomming more of a problem, and oddly Norton listed different part numbers for in. & ex. but no-one can tell me what the difference is.

Hi Rik
Thanks for the info about the new valves, new parts are always nice and its great to know that parts are available for the Old Girls. But you can't beat the feel of 70 year old NOS stuff especially if its got its original labels, packaging etc.
Just looked up the guides in my parts book and your right!, different part nums and their not even close, thousands out. I have no idea what the difference is but I bet someone on this Forum knows!
Regards
Keith

There is a big difference between the feel of an original valve in the guide and the new plasma nitrited stainless valves. The new valve feel almost frictionless and slide very smoothly. I wouldn't go back to original ones now.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Might have been a bit further South

Ron Pier
Mar 24, 2013 - 11:25PM

I remember that Alain had a string of bump stops on a length of wire and we had to sort through them to find the left and right hand pairs. I'm sure I had the last of these pairs and sent them to someone overseas. Might have been Kostas??

Ron

Ah you as well Iain. Glad to help. Ron

I think I had the last of the bump stops from Alain.

He told me recently in an email, that he'd sold the remaining stock to British Only.

Glad I bought a lot of stuff from him before it went!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1