Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WD G3L Saddle

Hi all,

I've been having difficulty with the fitting of my saddle. I think I must have a repro one with a repro cover & springs. These were on the bike when I started to restore her.

The saddle nose seems too wide at the front (with the cover on) to fit between the tank. If the saddle is moved backwards it's not too bad but the springs are all odd, but in what I think is the correct position, the nose of the saddle touches the tank as well.

The cover fits poorly especially at the front!

So, Is it saddle wrong, cover, or springs. Or all three!

Hopefully the photos shown might help.

Cheers..........Shaun.

photo 005_zps284559fd.jpg
 photo 004_zps76b1759a.jpg

photo 010_zps99089a2b.jpg

photo 009_zps799d8cc3.jpg

email (option): shaunevans1409@aol.com

Re: WD G3L Saddle

The seat will fit but not like you have it i have just fitted one the bracket you have the springs fitted to wants cutting of at the rivets and two l shaped brackets making . if you can send me your email address i will take some pics of mine and send them to you with a few measurements. you drill a hole in between the second and third spring on the rear frame of the seat thats above where they are on the pic dont worry that the springs are to short you put long bolts in with nuts on both sides then you can adjust up and down your front bracket looks a bit high . will get back soon .

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Here is my original saddle if it helps. I can take close ups if required. Ron

photo G3L024-2_zpsc4a8601c.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ime a bit slow seen your email address will send pics in a bit

Sent you an email . As i said get rid of those four bolts off the titanic on the front bracket and use coach bolts with no heads it will give you more room . I would take of the front bracket fit the seat with the rear bracket where you want it with the tank on then either make new or alter the front brackets you can make some up out of ply for a pattern .

Page 21 is a picture.http://www.archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_lists/1941_=M=_G3L_Parts_list_contract_C12632-33.pdf

It looks like you need the little bracket shown on the end of this BSA spring to allow you to move your saddle a bit further back. It looks like your front bracket isn't angled forwards enough
 photo IMAG0602_zpsfe52d59c.jpg

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi all and thanks for your replies.

Douglas, P21 isn’t too far off what I have now, but without the L shaped brackets at the bottom.

Stephen, I get the gist of removing the bottom bar and using L shaped brackets thereby enabling fore & aft movement.

Dave, I would imagine the bracket does much the same.

Any thoughts on why the cover is so short at the front?

Cheers..........Shaun.

email (option): shaunevans1409@aol.com

I believe that what you have is a curry flavoured "replica" of the WD "universal" saddle. I have fitted a few of these and found them to vary wildly, some frames are noticeably asymmetric. All the repo frames seem to have droopy noses, which the cover can't follow. Some covers seem to be over-stuffed.
I must be a masochist for I am currently "fitting" 2 more of these for others, one won't be too bad, but only because I will transfer all the springs and cover to an original frame.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

You can always rely on the Ghandis to come up with a 'cor blimey charlie pukka job'... ... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Oh my golly gosh yes, we former British make the velly best proper pukka M20's in Mumbai sahib. Queen Victoria, she be velly velly proud of our much finest workmanship, only the best files we use, oh yes!
My brother he make the best genuine copy Lee Metford rifles also sahib, or perhaps sahib would like fully restored Morris Oxford or Ferguson tractor, we do everything!

Shame it aint half crap mum!

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

neale they make AK 47s though they are crap but work well

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1