Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new pannier bags

Got my new pannier bags today from frank brown they are fantastic quality .They come with y straps stitched and not riveted. The buckles are original with a nice patina just love that word. Tried them on the racks they fit like a glove straight on to the press studs. The material is thick and good quality i think you will be hard pressed to find better also they are male and female ie they fasten together at the top with strap and buckle.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Re: new pannier bags

Frank Brown must be a busy chap as mine arrived this morning too!

I would just like to echo Stephen's comments. The bags are fantastic. Beautifully made & fit perfectly.

Frank is a good chap to deal with - great communication and all questions answered.

Highly reccomended.

Cheers.....Shaun.

email (option): shaunevans1409@aol.com

Hi Guys.
Many thanks. I could almost blush !
I have been making WD panniers amongst other things for around 10 years, ever since I got my M20. I have made 100s of sets and sent them all over the world, but trade disapeared when schipperfabrik came on the market with cheeper bags. I know that my early bags were made of material that was too thin and even my current ones are not the perfect repro of originals but I feel that they are more than adequate and I use them on my bike.
Like all my work it is done by myself, in the UK useing a mix of new , new old stock and original raw materials when available. I cant always be the cheepest as I dont use cheep foreign labour and I rarely have time to make things for stock so sometimes I have to keep you waiting as I have to sleep at some point, but I always aim to provide the bast quality thats possible. 80% of what I do are one offs so if there is anything that you are after just ask.
What started as my hobby has now become my job, and word of mouth is the best advertising that there is.
Thanks again for your kind comments.
Cheers
Frank

email (option): pegasus-drive@sky.com

Hi Frank...Schipper fabriks bags aren't bad..but they seem reluctant to 'adjust' the fit even after a number of contacts...Also, thier Y straps are too short...by about 3" at least. They are fine when the bags are empty but once loaded up you can barely do them up....
I'm going to be needing a set when I rebuild my M20 again later this year but I am still a little concerned (and I hope you don't mind me saying) that the bags you make are still not quite heavy enough canvas.(32oz for the originals I believe)..I ride my M20 everywhere and frequently travel with fully loaded pannier bags, tent, kitchen sink etc....So here's a question...would it be practical (or possible) to double up the canvas (or use a light and a heavier canvas, perhaps 18 and 24oz...or 18/18) to make a heavier bag?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

ian my Y straps can be a little short what i use is i think they call it a valese strap they are usualy use to hold the steel helmet to the back of a large back pack this gives you the extra length you need

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi Ian
Just about anything is possible. Certainly I could dubble up the canvas that I use, its around 16oz so that would give you 32oz alternativley in you find the canvas you want I could them make them up. I have an original set of canvas panniers and I am sure that its not twice as thick as the canvas I use. The webbing panniers like Brooks ones may be 32oz but webbing material is softer and more plyable.
Because its me that does the work I can make them in odd sizes or materials they dont have to follow a set plan just let em know what you want.
Hope this helps.
Frank

email (option): pegasus-drive@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1