Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Topic, Velo

Last Friday on Lake Gairdner, South Australia (dry salt)
Stuart Hooper from Yandina, Queensland rode his push-rod single Velo at over 170 MPH

Over to Stuart.

Hi to all,

For the first time in many years Lake Gairdner Speed Trials were unaffected by wet weather. The surface was initially a little rough and the weather very hot requiring a careful eye on engine temperatures and excessively rich mixtures to ensure the engine survived the meeting. After a steady sighting run to check out the new streamlining and steering geometry the Big Velo ran 166 mph on its second outing !!!! This was good cause for celebration as the Velo was now the Worlds fastest British single surpassing the fantastic Vincent Mighty Mouse of Bryan Chapman.

After a photo session day I decided a higher speed was possible and lined up again with a bit higher gearing and a higher ratio supercharger drive. The third run was only 152mph but this was against a 15 to 20 mph headwind so it was back in line for another 8 hrs for one final run. Friday morning was calm and cool, ideal conditions.......... but the morning ticked inexorably by with one delay after another and a headwind starting to flutter the flags and things looking like the meeting could be cancelled without another run. Finally the track was clear and the Big Velo boomed away from the line with its nearly 100mph first gear into a 7 to 10 mph gusting head and slight crosswind. By the time I changed up from third into top at 156mph the bike was weaving and darting about somewhat in the ruts on the track and the odd gusts of wind, but with the throttle hard aginst the stop one hand hovering over the clutch lever and the revs climbing towards the 6500 mark the track markers started to slip by faster and faster until the final timing light flashed past and it was time to slow down with the old MSS single leading shoe brake smelling as only red hot 50 year old brakes can. Back to the pits to see the crew flashing lights, cheering and jumping around !!!!......... 171.600 mph !! ..... A fantastic end to a great week....... The Velocette name is again in the record books were it belongs !

Worlds Fastest Velocette.

Worlds Fastest British Single

Worlds Fastest Single Cylinder Sit On Motorcycle.

A sincere thanks for the support to my crew and all of you over the years,

Stuart Hooper

ps..... Just how fast can a Velo go ?

Photobucket

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Re: Off Topic, Velo

Sounds terrifying! And to think, Rollie Free did it in his underpants. But then he was only doing 151 MPH Ron

photo rolliefreerecord-1_zps3db99082.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Great achievment...I like the way he said he 'only' did 152mph on the third run.. ..What always interests me about these records is that many owners of modern bikes find it hard to accept something so old can go so well..A friend of mine who tuned Rotax engines wasn't happy when his bike was beaten by a 4 valve Mularney Manx in a TT singles race....Do you know how many years of work went in to achieve that speed?....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Smoking a pipe at those sorts of speeds seems a tad difficult.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1