Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whats that?

Hi,

this interesting bike is for sale. Have no idea what kind of bike it could be. Maybe frame and engine belong together (1928?) but the rest Mudguards and Petrol tank?? Maybe also a "Stecktank" would fit.

Does anyone know what bike it is?

photo BSA_1_zpsa8d43166.jpg

photo BSA_2_zps6f2f566b.jpg

Thanks
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Whats that?

Hi Phillip,
It's a real vintage bitza, just what i am building at the moment. Whats here is a Triumph W engine converted to forward mag. Magneto cases i do not know, but the crankcases and cylinder are Triumph 277cc model W ( i have a W) The gearbox is sturmey archer lightweight think this will be 2 speed but could be 3. The magneto is not british and has 2 ht pickups, it is using the centre hole in the cylinder which is tapped 18mm as a second plug, this hole is for timing and priming only. The other plug is over the exhaust this is not good as the plug runs hot but the valve caps are interchangable. Frame and forks at a guess could be Ariel, if not French guessing again! Wheels and guards definatley not british and not vintage. Pilgrim oil pump and Best hand pump in the oil tank, carb not British. Lets see what others think, it's a real lash up but interesting.
Where did you get the pics?

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

2 plug per cylinder i remember reading about a vintage car which had twin mags when going up hill you would switch in second mag which made the car accelerate up the hill (giving a double burn in the combustion mixture) maybe this is what the builder was trying here

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

It's a completely standard Nineteen Canteen Braithwaite Cyclone 998 single that had a top speed of 29mph, recorded by Captain Wilfred Nash (RA) down the side of Mount Snowdon in August 1927..Captain Nash died 18 months later of injuries sustained after a crash caused by a badger getting stuck in his spokes in the final stages of the decent..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
It's a completely standard Nineteen Canteen Braithwaite Cyclone 998 single that had a top speed of 29mph, recorded by Captain Wilfred Nash (RA) down the side of Mount Snowdon in August 1927..Captain Nash died 18 months later of injuries sustained after a crash caused by a badger getting stuck in his spokes in the final stages of the decent..Ian

You been reading Old Bike per chance ?
Was he related to Edgar jessop ?

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1