Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Damper friction discs

Several years ago I bought a quantity of these discs.

The ones I have bought in the past to use on my M20 have always been a lot thicker and have been made from various "stuff".

These measure
Outside diameter 2 3/8"
Centre hole 9/16"
Thickness 1/16" or 1.5mm

So what are they for?

Rob

photo discs_zps2a740a16.jpg

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Damper friction discs

I don't know which fork they are for but don't be tempted to fit them to your M20 (unless perhaps you fit four?). If the damper discs are too thin, either initially or through wear, when the friction wheel is tightened it puts an excessive bending load on the cranked damper plate which frequently causes it to fracture...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Rob,those discs are made of CAF (compressed asbestos fibre )used for pipe flange joints.I personally dont think they are useable.
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Rick, In that case if I could safely cut them to shape they could be used as Welbike Exhaust gaskets.

Rob

Hi Rob..I'm guessing you are being ironic..It won't be that safe if they are asbestos..I'd wet them before you start cutting and wear a mask...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Even if I did it under water there would still be frayed crumbling edges when they dried out

Can't even burn them

Rob

you will have to call in the council asbestos squad they will tap off your house and have a couple of chap in nuke suits putting them in a bomb proof container

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1