Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meanwhile, what the well-heeled RAF were riding...

The website photo reminded me of one of my favorite RAF photos; three NCO's on their high pipe sporting machines in front of the Mosquito! A dashing trio if ever there was one.....

photo MosquitoMotorbikes_zps3a381ab4.png

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

Re: Meanwhile, what the well-heeled RAF were riding...

I agree! Always loved the high pipe look. But i don't trust Armours to lash out on one for my Matchy!

Out of interest DVB is a London registration, LKP..Kent and BPW...Norfolk...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I put Armours high pipes on my Model 26 AJS and they fitted brilliantly and still look great.

This photo reminds me of a story I was told once by an old chap who was an RAF mechanic during the war. He was a keen motorcyclist and he said that he and the other lads would watch out for pilots with nice motorcycles and try to befriend them as they all knew that it was only a matter of time before the pilot wouldn't make it back from a mission and the bike would be up for grabs!!

These high pipes realy did make these pre war bikes look good, just look at the Matchless high pipe the bend is a lot tighter than the 2 Ariels. Looks like the Matchless is only a 250cc, cannot tell if it's a twin port or not, looks like the middle Ariel is a twin porter.
I do buy Armours pipes but i buy them unplated as i fine i always have to heat and tweek them to get a good fit and plate them after, but doing it this way it works out an expensive pipe. I have just used a pipe bender near Lincoln who has bent me a set of pipes with some very tight bends without any distortion at all and very well priced and fast turnaround. The bad thing is you have to take the bike to them to make the pipe unless you have a pattern. Did not like the idea of leaving my bike somewhere i did not know but it worked out very well.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

I've said this before and was told it shouldn't have to be. But Armours will always send you an un-plated pipe for trial fitting and then get it plated once you are satisfied. Maybe sometimes it just needs a tweak of a bracket, but better done before the chrome is added. Of course it does mean extra postage. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I used a Tube Engineers Ltd near Lincoln before Tim, on the way to Market Rasen? Probably the same people? They made me up some stainless handle bars for a trials bike using the original old rusty mild steel ones as a pattern. They did a great job, but the first time they made them they used mild steel and had to go again in stainless. The mild steel set was no good to them, so they threw them in for free.

That's them Bill, ace firm will use them again for my next project.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1