Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WB29

I picked up this cancelled vehicle log book the other day.

Unfortunately its a continuation book but there is still some interesting information in it.

Frame WB27 426, Engine WN29 332 is shown in the BSA Factory Ledgers as being delivered to the War Office on 31 May 1940 and would have been part of contract C7370.

The log book says.

Page 7. Date of original registeration under the Roads Act, 1920. 2nd April 1942. This would appear to be the date that this machine left the British Army and passed into civilian hands or to another Government department that required a civilian registration number.

photo page7-1_zps2d907257.jpg

Page 3. The first keeper shown on this continuation book in 1950 has the address "Barracks, Brize Norton" so presumably was still in the forces.

photo page3_zps520aaf3b.jpg

Page 6. At some point it had a sidecar fitted.

photo page6-1_zpsbe1c6392.jpg

Is this bike still in existence?

The whole document can be viewed on my Photobucket page.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Re: BSA WB29

And here's what it would have looked like...Ian  photo b29.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

500CC???????

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I wonder if they were ever finished in military paint, according to this log book this example served in the Army for less than 2 years and was part of a mixed contract of B29s, M20s & M21s which were already in the factory and perhaps recalled from dealerships around the country.

We know that rather than being serviced by a specific military contract spare parts list they used the standard 1940 civy list with a contract number stamped on the front which didn't include military parts such as the long prop stand.

And there is some evidence that not all bikes were painted in military colours, the BSA on the left of this picture has had a serial number painted along the bottom edge of the petrol tank.

photo Image299_zps47edc7e3.jpg

Rob

Mick Holmes
500CC???????

Hadn't noticed that? Typo??

Rob

My B29.353, was despatched in civilian silver and chrome finish to Taylor and Preston, Arndale, Manchester on 11 June, 1940.
ie within days after the Dunkirk evacuation.
Somehow it was shipped to the far east where it was captured and used by the Japanese.
I have not been able to determine if was impressed, or shipped as a civvy machine, indeed I know nothing of its history between despatch and being found in Rabaul after the 6 Sep 1945 Japanese surrender there.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Rob Miller

Frame WB27 426, Engine WN29 332 is shown in the BSA Factory Ledgers as being delivered to the War Office on 31 May 1940 and would have been part of contract C7370.

Despatch during Dunkirk evacuation indicates emergency requisition.
The BSA Ledger should indicate finish at time of despatch???
Supplied under a military contract (albeit probably retrospective) and despatch to War Office indicates intended military use.
Allocation of a C number confirms military use.

Was WB29.332 factory militarised?

Neale

Hi Neale

The Ledger doesn't give a colour in this case, in fact the Ledgers are rather confusing in many ways, BSA had ledgers based on Frame numbers and other Ledgers based on Engine numbers and the information doesn't always match.

I only have a copy of the Frame ledger for the B29 and according to that in the case of your bike frame WB27 353 wasn't made.

The Engine number WB29 353 is shown but its been added between Frames 261 and 262 both of which seem to have been delivered to the War Office?

photo Image4-30_zpsb47cd466.jpg

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yes it is confusing
262 is correct frame number.
It could well be that frame WB27.353 was never made, there appear to be "gaps" of unused engine and frame numbers throughout BSA production.
I note that no WB27.263 frame was made either.

For early BSA's the engine is the primary identifier (regardless of modern VIN numbers) to the best of my knowledge BSA never made a WB27 motorcycle.
The post war 500cc B34s all have frames stamped B32 but they also made 350cc B32 engines and these identified the 350 B32 machines.

The B29 engine ledger should give colour for 332.

My interpretation of frame ledger for B29.353 is:
Frame WB27.262 was fitted with engine WB29.353, Tally #14096, despatched on 11-6-40, Model B29 OHV, despatched to Taylor, Manchester.

Engine 353 is in the frame 262 row as a second entry.

It is possible there were 2 frames stamped WB27.262, but this is not certain.

Is there any record of a C number being issued for WB29.353?

Nieuwe pagina 1