Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website Picture and Front Mudguard Numbers

Hi Folks
Can anyone tell me what the numbers on the front mudguards mean? My M20 has NZ 16097 in hand painted lettering on the mudguard – it was under the rough black paint that coats the bike!
Best wishes to all
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Re: Website Picture and Front Mudguard Numbers

I don't have any knowledge of specifically NZ markings and it sounds as if yours had a locally issued serial number.

I'm pretty sure that the numbers on the guards of the bikes in the picture are 'Movement' or 'Embarkation' serials.

These were applied to all vehicles and kit of units embarking overseas and were simply a way of making sure that everything unloaded on the dockside went to the correct unit. They were generally accompanied by a coloured code linked to the numbers.

In many cases, units kept the same number all through the war. They were not tactical and for security reasons were generally overpainted soon after arrival.

Numbers in the 16*** series often seem to apply to support services such as Field Post Offices, Workshops etc.

I can probably trace most BEF codes but would hesitate to start with MEF.

Thanks Rick
My bike may well have been overseas (everywhere is overseas from NZ!!). Henk had a picture of Maori troops on motorcycles in Italy on the website a while ago. I dont have any history of the bike but purchased it in the mid 60s in running condition and it had NZ rego from the early 50s on it.
Tks
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

your number could be the NZ vehicle issued number when a vehicle isa issued to NZ army
Brian Forth

email (option): forthy@picknowl.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1