Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cam follower guide tool.

Does anyone know if there was a BSA tool for undoing the cam follower guides in M and B Series singles?
I'm planning to make one as I keep stretching 5/16" whit. spanners undoing them..they are usually very tight even after the application of heat.
Also, has anyone made a tool for this?... if so could you post a picture?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Cam follower guide tool.

I can send you photos of open end spanners (steeksleutels in Holland) I destroyed while undoing these guides

Maybe you can clamp the squire of the guide in a vice and rotate the crankcase?

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Can you not use something like one of the square lathe or machine spanners even if you have to file it out a little, I tried making one from a 1/2 socket (using the square end filed out a little) and then I welded it to another socket so that I could use it on an impact gun. Just an idea!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Funnily enough I was looking at sockets myself and that may be the (quick) way to go...Holding the guide in the vice works but does tend to damage them, which I don't like doing....Ian

Would they be worth having some made from thickish metal using a laser cutter? I have a guy that does it about a mile from me. I'd reccommend hardening them after they were made. I had 44 knucklehead cylinder barrel spacers made for the princely sum of £80 which I thought was pretty cheap

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

What's a cam follower guide?

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

hi Henri,listed as part 66-1494,the tubes the cam followers run through.
in the 1949 / 58 manual there is a spanner listed as 15-832 hex spanner small,
maybe this is it,looks like the bigger one but with thick ends,about the same size as the four ended one 1-3051 hope this helps
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Why would you want to take them out Ian, i have never seen a worn one. As Dave says get a spanner laser cut, I have just had some engine plates laser cut for my vintage special and i found when fileing them to clean them up the lazer had slightly hardend the edge. I found lazer cutting is also very accurate, my days are gone from cutting engine plates with a hacksaw or gas axe.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Tim I think it's fairly necessary to remove them if you are going to bead or vapour blast the cases. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I use a piece of 20mm square tube (2mm wall, 2.5 would be better) 35mm long.
For OHV with converging followers you need to chamfer the corners to get it right down, not necessary for SV.

Use a large flat washer and 5/16" x 26 TPI nut to pull it down with the adjuster thread of follower. Rotate square tube with a large shifter (adjustable spanner), once thread has broken free, remove the nut and washer, spin out the guide and remove follower. The one I'm using was made in minutes in a moment of need and after many tight removals and reassemblies is still working great.

Will post a pic

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Tim (W)..The cam follower guides have to be removed if you want to blast the cases..everything has to be removed for that. Also worn or damaged followers can only be removed from the crankcase after first unscrewing and removing the guides.
Neale..Nice idea about pulling the tool down onto the square using the follower thread...I hadn't thought of that (simple as it is!)...
Thanks for all the input....Ian

Thanks Rik and Neale,

Had tried to remove those on my Cutaway engine to no avail. Will give that square tubing concept a go.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Hi Henri..Just send the complete sectioned M20 to me and I'll get them out for you...can't guarantee you'll see it again though.. ...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1