Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lucas Du42

Hello All
I have searched the forum and Internet to no avail. But does anyone have photos of a DU 42 taken apart, as I am not sure if my parts are correct. My reflector has a slot above the main bulb, is this correct? Also it doesn't sit well in the housing.
What distance should the reflector be from the rim, ie where the glass sits.
Lastly I have 2 different types of housings for the ammeter/ light switch. One type has a 2" hole and the other 1 3/4" which is the correct type?

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

Re: Lucas Du42

Darren, a slot sounds like a Miller reflector.

Any pictures??

Have no pictures of a DU 42 in my pc, but someone here will.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Lex
I have sent you a photo, I don't have a image hosting account yet.
Cheers Darren

Here's one picture I have on file. All be it for a James ML. Ron

photo ML021-1_zps541ecb43.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Darren..An 1 3/4" ammeter is the correct size for an M20 (and most other WD bikes)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hello Ian
Sorry I meant the light switch opening, is it 2" or 1 3/4" as I have panels with both sizes. The ammeter opening on either panels is 1 3/4" but light switch openings are the two sizes

Thanks Ron
Do you have any photos of the actual reflector, also what is the copper wiring around the ammeter.

Darren, it's been a while.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I make the hole for the switch at a hair under 1 3/4" (I took this photo and uploaded before I saw the correction regarding which hole).

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Thanks Ray
So by the photo the reflector sits in the rim held on by W clips, so ithe reflector doesn't actually attach to the headlight shell. Hence why I had a 20mm gap between the rim and reflector,(bullet proof glass?) Anyone know where I can get the correct frosted glass?
Looking at your panel the light switch is a 1 3/4" opening as well as the ammeter.
So what does the panel with the 2" light switch suit??
Thanks all

So what does the panel with the 2" light switch suit?

Some coil ignition models, eg Panther model 65 had a larger lighting switch which incorporates an ignition switch with seperate key.
Probably similar combination switch was used on the BSA 250 SV C10.
And most likely many more.

Re: So what does the panel with the 2" light switch suit?

Darren,

The slot in the reflector above the main bulb is to light the ammeter. This is actually a pre war feature which was deleted on later WD models. This reflector was fitted to 6.5" and 8" reflectors with the panel in the headlight.

Best regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Darren, here's your picture, not too sharp unfortunatly!

I can't really see well enough to see what's what.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Re the glass for light if your not going to use the bike in the dark i would put a blackout lamp on it.I carry a glass in my pannier bag just in case took a lot of finding though i think you may find one on ebay now.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Just take a picure of the type of glass to your local glazier, they can usually cut you a circle of it for a couple of pounds

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Darren the copper wire is actually a resistor for the direct lighting system on a James ML.
You can get a good look alike glass from a friendly glass supplier. It's just modern bathroom window stuff. It's a little bit thicker than original, but works fine. Ron

photo G504_zps1bffe818.jpg

Thank you for the replies gents,
No black out mask for me, as I will ride at night.
Dave £ haven't been legal tender since 66 here in Oz.

This thread has been extremely useful. Can someone please post a few pics of the DU142 (8 inches) Headlight Ring? Where the ring meets the headlight glass. Have a ring very close to original but not quite the right shape. Thanks so much

J.M

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

If you are going to do a lot of fiding after dark take your rim to a sliver plater and get it replated.
I went to a joint in Marrickville ( Sydney ) and it was around $ 25.00.

The candle is not real bright so any thing you can do to help is a good thing.

Mine is fine on the back roads but you get "white outed" every time some clot comes up behind you with 10Kw of blinding white light melting the tar, so I do not ventuer into the barkness much in the city.

Bike beesa
trevor

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Funnily enough, someone else asked me the same thing today. He also called it a 'ring' but I call it a 'rim'. The silver plated part inside is the reflector.
Here is a close up of a DU142 . Hope it's clear enough? The rims for flat glass and domed glass are quite different. Ron

photo G3135_zpsd5b2aebd.jpg

Nieuwe pagina 1