Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Army Service

Hi There.
I really enjoy looking at this site and appreciate that Henk does a grand job keeping it going but I was wondering, with all you chaps that come on here, how many of you actually did any time in the armed services? Also if and when you were in the forces, couldn't wait to get out, I know that when I did my stint, (nine years), I enjoyed it for the six but then counted the days on the last three. Although I like seeing you fella's dressed up in your outfits and attending Normandy etc, I don't need to act the part, done it got the tee shirt etc, I know the old soldiers like seeing you all in your garb and the bikes etc and they can all recall the time they served but I just like the military vehicles.
So come on how much service did you see? and did you get your knees brown?

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Re: Army Service

Does the RAAF count?

email (option): Darrenacartwright@yahoo.com.au

I didn't do any military service...After four years in my schools Air Cadet Squadron I was keen to join the RAF when I left school, but my old man had different ideas..Most of my family (for generations) were Engineers and my father thought that would be a good career for me as well, so steered me towards it...I remember him saying when I suggested the RAF as a career..'You don't want to do that, people telling you what to do all day, you should think for yourself'....Well, at 15 I didn't think for myself and so Engineering it was...I'm very happy to have done that though and have no regrets. Engineering is a trade where it's impossible to 'fake it'..you can either do the job or you can't and I am proud of my families long contribution in that arena..
In uniform I'm not 'acting a part' like some sort of 'wannabee', if I wanted to do that I'd be more likely to wear current uniform. In fact I resent any implication that I am doing so, as it is making totally incorrect and ill informed assumptions about my motives.......It's very simple..it's a case of matching my appearance to the bike on appropriate occassions to make a better display of it...Rather like the people who wear Edwardian clothes in thier old cars on the London to Brighton run..Nobody actually thinks they are trying to be 'Edwardian'... ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Darren Cartwright
Does the RAAF count?

Yes, RAAF, RAF and Royal navy count, cadets doesn't.

I enjoyed my time in the Belgian Army! See also this thread...

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Hi all here,

I was in the Dutch army for my military service during 14 months in 1980-1981.

My dad and all my uncles were soldiers but I just couldn't fit at that time, when I was 19/20 years old.

But people grow up and I ended up in the Dutch police force

Regards,

Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

My Father and Grandfather were RAF, so I went though all the interviews and medicals to join up too when my time came, but at the last hurdle was told that recruitment had been cut and that was that, apply again in 18 months. I got a job doing something else and never reapplied. I often wish I had

i joined up in august 1963 age 17 and a half for 9 years later i found out my 9 years service didnt start till i was 18 in the RASC and then RCT riding M20 on occasions i wish i had took more notice of them i would have signed up for more but my mother was ill really enjoyed myself acting unpaid sergeant beck

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

roger
i joined up in august 1963 age 17 and a half for 9 years later i found out my 9 years service didnt start till i was 18 in the RASC and then RCT riding M20 on occasions i wish i had took more notice of them i would have signed up for more but my mother was ill really enjoyed myself acting unpaid sergeant beck

Roger: A fellow RASCer and RCTer, well done mate, mine was 1960 to 69 from 22 air dispatch to 65 Heavy plus ace force, UN in cyprus, then finished up 18 amphibious down in Devon.

TTJ

I was in the F.A.S.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

VietNam vet
3 tours in South Lebanon
2 Years in Gaza Strip
Nine years in Egypt
Two years in Western Sahara
Two years in Central African Republic
Two years on Bougainville
Three in Israel

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I was RCT, but like many others on this forum we pay homage to those veterans who may have been our fathers or grandfathers, so I for one am not trying to be a wanabee but just being respectful.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Well done Henri you old git you must be nearly as old as me

TTJ

Still upright

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

I was a Royal Marine Commando until 2009 and loved it !!!As a G3L owner I really enjoyed Raymond Mitchell's book " Commando Dispatch Rider ". Has anybody on here met him, is he still about ?

email (option): ggoodwin68@gmail.com

Hi John,my dad was RASC and RCT just after the war,46-47.he was at a camp near Chesil beach near Weymouth for a time then at a Canadian or American camp on an airfield near Pickering or Malton in Yorkshire.There was little to do as the occupants of the camp had mainly been demobbed.he was a DR for a while,when he went to get his first bike(m20) he was given a chit,and told to go to a particular hanger.he said it was full,lines and lines of bikes.the guy in charge said take your pick.he chose the BSA as his dad had one.
after a while doing that as they got sorted out they had to learn to drive lorries
this was done round the airfield.after about a week ,the instructor walked in and said driving test in fifteen minutes outside,this consisted of a flat out run down the runway,a three point turn and back to the start point,six tested in twenty minutes in a Bedford 15 cwt pickup.one of his duties was a daily run to York to pick up fresh supplies,and calling at Smiths brewery Tadcaster for the beer for the officers mess.sounds to me he had a pretty easy time of it.he ended up in charge of the food stores as he was a butcher by trade and they needed to rotate the stock properly to prevent waste.there was a bake house on the camp and the locals could get a loaf through the back gate.
He told me he and a mate had a weekend pass an so slipped a couple of nice pieces of steak into his bag for his mum and dad.they caught the bus to Leeds
and were walking to the station when the MPs pulled up in a jeep.they asked where they were going,and had to show their passes.the MP then said right get
in,my dad s***t himself and said why what have we done,the MP replied dont you want a lift to the station then.
so there you are a little bit of info for you
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Graeme,

Unfortunately....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Mitchell

If you like his book, you must read 'a Civillian in an uniform' from Jack Dienst.

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

stephen forrest
I was in the F.A.S.

Stephen.

Forgive my ignorance but what is the F.A.S.?

TTJ

TT john maybe we might have been in the same places UN Nicosia 1964/65 and i am not sure of the dates but it would have been in the sixties air dispatch at RAF tangmere i drove the lorries/crane that went and picked up what you had maybe dropped agosies beverlies and hastings

Roger. We must have been in Nicosia at the same time then, I was there in 1964 -65 that was when we got re-badged and it changed to the RCT I was with 65 coy then on the Nicosia airport, I know 47 Air Dispatch were there at the same time, quite close to the swimming pool if I remember correctly, I think we were the first to get the U.N. gong. I never stayed with Air dispatch I only did the course at Watchfield and got a bit fed up with all the wieghing and strapping down, the Hastings were grounded while I was there after a crash, and para's got killed.
Had one drop of a landrover & trailor, came down the DZ but the shoots broke free, quite a hieght, they dug it out eventually, the officer got one months extra duties for that.
Keo brandy five bob a bottle from the Red Lion and the old pakkie doing egg butties late at night when we got back.

Happy Daze

TTJohn

No personal service for me. By Grandfather did The Boer War, WW1 (Middlesex Regiment) & 2 (in the Home Guard). My Father did WW2 in an Anti Aircraft Battery with The Royal Artillery and my late Brother did nine years with the Queen's Regiment and died 31 years ago in the Paisley Train Crash.

Hi Ewok. My Great Granddad was also in the Middlsex Regt in WW1. I hold his medals and cap badge. He was just a private in the 'Labour Corp' but was obviously proud enough to buy himself a real silver cap badge. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

junior leaders( learning to ride on B40's and drive on 3 ton bedfords ! ) followed by RN as a diver until a year after the falklands...
i ride to remember and as Ian said, to look the part...
not for me war games.

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

someone had been naughty is the reason the chutes came free the chute release mechanism is designed to break off when the load hit the ground so not to be dragged along so one snatch on the load going out the back of the aircraft the second snatch when the load hit the ground someone has giving it a snatch before they dispatched it out of the aircraft i had to dig one out of the ground at otterburn training ground

The only record I have of my Grandfathers service is his marriage certificate that says 'Occupation - Warehouseman, former Private Middlesex Regiment'. He ran away from home aged 14 as he could not get on with his Dad and joined up under age. I don't know how long he served in South Africa but I do know he served 21 years in all.

My whole family did Army service, I was the Black Sheep and did 20 years in the Marines.
My Grandfather was a WWI veteran.
My father was a WWII, Korean war, and Viet Nam veteran.
My brother was a Viet Nam veteran.
Both my brother in laws were also Army.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

email (option): normandy@ec.rr.com

Kind of same for me Frank, I come from a family that was Army orientated so I joined the Marines to be different ( and of course Better !!!!!) I've also worked with the USMC on ops. Semper Fi
I bet your father had some stories to tell.

email (option): ggoodwin68@gmail.com

No army service for me, but lost a great uncle over the North sea returning from a bombing raid on Germany in a Lancaster. Most of the crew were Canadians and the family are still in touch with some of the other crew members families. I think this is what spurred my military interest. My father grew up during the war and lived in the gatehouse/lodge of a small US army camp and eventually did his national service in Cyprus with the Royal Signals when the troubles were on. I guess I was just fortunate that I grew up in an era when there was no pressing need for a conscript army, I was too young for the Falklands and already had a career by the time Gulf war 1 was on. I did consider joining the Army, but my parents were obviously aware of the grief that they had had with my uncle so they dissuaded me from doing it.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Military service, Corps of Engineers, 1955-57. After that, commisioned as an Civil Defence Explosive Ordnance officer, but fortunately, never served as such because I started working in the Third World...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Ex REME
1979-2010
13 years Regs
Germany,UK,NI
18 years TA
Germany,UK,Iraq

Love talking to the old boys and the banter with the lads on the Normandy tours.

Tony just likes to come and keep an eye on us to make sure we are properly turned out for D Day.. ...Ian  photo normandy035.jpg

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1