Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dutch army M20

Anyone fancy a Tele fork rigid army bike,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-M20-1952-Ex-Dutch-Army-/190794267653?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item2c6c397c05&_uhb=1

very similar to my own 1950 ZM20 but strange it has the breather on the drive side crankcase as on WM20 models.Would make someone a nice ride I like the feel of rigid frame & tele fork BSA,s seem to be a good combination.Reasonably priced I wouldnt sell my ZM20 for that price,mind you I,ve had it for 38 years Dave

Re: Dutch army M20

Hi, being absolutely not an BSA expert, but having this piccy on file, that shows a postwar Dutch Army BSA, is the one on Ebay not a bit of a BitSA?? or did the change to rear suspension came after 1952??

Cheers,

Lex

ps, just trying to date the picture

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex, Plunger rear suspension was introduced in 49/50 but the rigid frame option continued for a few years..till 53 I think..The bike in the picture has an alloy head..that was introduced in 51. The plunger frame continued until the (M21) went out of production in 1963..It still has a type 6 carb though, and that was replaced with the monobloc for 1954 so I would say the photo is 51-53...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian,

it is a 1953 model to be exact because that is the year that the cow's head type headlamp cowl was introduced (model year started in September 1952 of course).

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Ok, Thanks guys,

Lex

I have olso a question are there tele BSA used in the Dutch army ?? When I was in the Army in 1972 we ride Matchless 350 and Triumph 350 But i never saw a telescoop BSA maybe Henk knows Gr.Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Theo Schipper
I have also a question were there tele BSA used in the Dutch army ?? When I was in the Army in 1972 we rode Matchless 350 and Triumph 350 But I never saw a telescopic fork BSA maybe Henk knows Gr.Theo

Well, LSK stands for LandStrijdKrachten, or landforces in English, and this picture was taken in Holland, so they must have had at least one of them

Cheers,

Lex

Sorry, have been proved wrong, LSK stands for Luchtstrijdkrachten, and that's Airforce.

On the 11th of march 1953 Queen Juliana signed a paper, to give it the "Royal" prefix, and it became the Royal Dutch Airforce.

Hope this helps, and nobody was terribly hurt or upset by my mistake.

Cheers,

Lex

Hoi Lex,

I was slightly upset and for nitpicking reasons I will say, it is not Royal Dutch Airforce, but Koninklijke Luchmacht, Klu in short.

All postwar Dutch Airforce motor vehicles (cars, bikes, lorries, tankers, busses, queen mary trailers etc.) had LSK prefixed numberplates until around 1953. Its likely this prefix was replaced as result of the re-naming of the service, but could also have been because from 1951 onwards the "person specific Provincial number" registration sytem changed into the "vehicle specific National" numbering system requiring the military vehicles to be re-registered.

Civil vehicles had leeway until about 1956 (or therabouts) before they had to be re-registered.

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Luchtmacht instead of Luchmacht of course. We are not South Africans.

shit shit

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1