Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spark Plug Type?

Returning to elderly bikes after a gap of 20 years, I'm re-commissioning my dusty old 1944 WM20. Being out of touch with the current supply situation, can somebody please recommend:
1. The correct type of replacement spark plug.
2. A source for the little felt washer thing that slips over the clutch push rod to prevent oil getting to the clutch, and
3. A reliable firm to renovate the tired magneto (in the UK).
Many thanks,
John

Re: Spark Plug Type?

I can do your magneto, can you please ring me on 07770 876479 on Monday
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi John..Assuming you have an iron head a Champion L86C or an NGK B6HS will sort the plug...Gap to .018"-.020"...Try Russell Motors for the pushrod felt (though personally I never fit them)...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I know it "ain't arf ot" down here but I find I needed to use a BP5HS on my M20.
The cooler 6 would load up then go foul if I did much idleing and any one who knows what Sydney traffic is like would realize that hours at idle in stationary traffic is the norm.
I even went as far as to index the plug which ( to me at least ) did seem to make the engine go better.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Hi Trevor..Interesting, as the Army didn't mention any other plug for very hot climates, which you'd have thought they would have.
I had the trouble just once on a slow moving parade on a hot day...So that means Britain reaches typical Sydney temperatures once every 35 years or so.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks all. I had no idea that Russell's were still going - they're where I used to get all my parts from. Dave - I will call you about the mag.
Regards,
John

Problem is we get the worst of what fuel is available world wide.( cheapest ).
So when you start to slow down plugs foul with a glossy black slime that is very conductive.
Even stopping with the valve lifter is liable to leave you with a non starting foul plug.
I used to burn off fouled plugs with an oxy torch but even that will not work now days.
One was so loaded up it burned for over 12 minutes after we took the heat away.

I think that pool petrol would have been better quality.
Even the kerro engine ( parrafin to some ) does not foul plugs like the bikes do.
The more modern riders have to use premium unleaded (40¢ to 80¢ / liter dearer and the Notrun riders have mostly gone to Platinum or Irridum plugs one or two grades hotter to prevent fouling.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1