Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Database Again!

I would be really interested to hear from anyone with a WD G3WO or G3L with the frame and engine numbers of their motorcycles. However the reason for my post is to request specifically to hear from anyone with an engine number stamped with either 40/G3R or 41/G3R.,

Previous postings have suggested that the R suffix meant Revised but this now seems that it cannot be so as there are several engines stamped with an R that predate the changes to the engine. Any thoughts welcome. Cheers JT

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: Database Again!

John, just read Simons mail on the subject, interesting!!

But you have all my info, so can't help you here.

Did you get my last email??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

My Matchless is a G3 R and I was always been lead to believe that the R stood for 'Roller' as they had added a Roller Bearing to the timing side of the engine instead of a bush that had appeared in earlier models?

Hi Bill, it now seems that this cannot be the case as the engine numbers seem to significantly predate the change in engine spec. Do you have a record of the engine number lease? Thanks JT

I always thought it was a bit odd? My number is '40 G3R 14992'. Hope this helps.

Interesting that this is by far the earliest R suffix engine I have heard of. Being from contract C7183 it is much earlier than the modifications to the engine. Therefore what can the R mean? May I trouble you for the frame number as well. Cheers John

This sort of work highlights the value of registers where contemporary documentation is incomplete.

John, do you have photographs of the stampings for these 'R' suffix Model codes ? I don't know Matchlesses at all but two things occur to me:-

Is it possible to upgrade earlier engines (and if so is there enough space between the stampings to add an 'R' indicating the improvement)?

Unstamped replacement crankcases exist for most makes, presumably Matchless too ? Experience with Nortons has shown a quantity stamped to varying standards with the original number (in the case of Nortons, these are often recognisable not only by the stamping but by casting differences which don't fit in with the original production date and which are clearly later). On the basis that replacement cases would be 'R' type, have you been able to exclude the anomalies as replacements stamped with original numbers ?

Every discovery with these old bikes should give rise to two new questions if we're doing our job right !

That is very interesting indeed. The frame number is 11061.

Hi John,
I have a '41 G3WO, heres a pic of the engine number-
 photo numbers005.jpg
Its a bike that came back from Egypt a few years ago. An explenation of all the numbers would be great.
I'll dig out the frame number when I can.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1