Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vinyl BSA WD Oval Decal/Transfer????

Hello again:
A while back a Ebay seller from Australia I believe had vinyl BSA WD oval decal/transfers for sell and included a closeup picture of the BSA Ovals on his bike tanks that had been on there a long time in varying weather and riding conditions.

Has anyone hear of this type of transfer or used it on their M20 in lieu of the traditional water transfer with some method of sealing (clearcoat, etc.)?

I can remember the main color of the transfer (cream or gold).

I finally got my tank back from the body man and I painted it OD this past weekend; I will apply the C number and divisional stencils soon as soon as the paint cures a bit. So I am almost ready for the oval. I have read several posts about where to get the proper cream colored water transfer one.

I have not used a clearcoat on the mudguards, etc. and would prefer not to on the tank to keep the shade of OD the same. I assume, however, the water transfer would not last long with some sort of protective sealing.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

Re: Vinyl BSA WD Oval Decal/Transfer????

Doc I always use water slide Transfers. You do at least stand more chance of forming them more successfully around the double curve of a petrol tank. Once dry, I apply a coat of Humbrol clear mat or satin lacquer with a soft artist brush (making sure to go just beyond the edge of the transfer). My M20 for instance was done years ago and been in all weathers. I kind of feel that a vinyl sticker will look just like a vinyl sticker!
I buy from 'Classic Transfers' or 'VMCC Transfer scheme' Ron

photo M20-2_zpsbde24a12.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The stuff is Mylar.
Clear vinyl will not take the fuel / UV abuse on the tanks.
These decals are very thick and stik out like dogs danglers.
Small amounts of glue on the edges of the decals pick up dirt which accentuates the outline.
If you scrub the grime off then the decals start to lift.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Hello:
Thanks Ron and Trevor! That is what I needed to hear. No dog Danglers for me! Ha! Ha!. I scoped out the water transfers from VMCC last night and will order them today.
Doc

email (option): h2odoc@nmt.edu

To help dealing with the double curvature of the tank when applying the decals you could pick up at your local hobby shop a bottle of decal setting solution. This is specifically designed to help water slide transfers adhere and conform to almost any shape. A quick google search will point you to modelling sites explaining how to use the setting agent.

Nieuwe pagina 1