Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rubber handlebar grips

Wondering how the original rubber handlebar rubbers from early WD M20's look like. Obviously the ends should be open, but what pattern or markings/text etc?

I would like to buy the closest looking. Any pictures or leads would be great.

Thanks in advance, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Re: Rubber handlebar grips

Jeff Hunter Engineering
35 Sandgate Road
Hall Green
Birmingham
B28 0UN
jeffalanhunter@aol.com

Th picture Fred has posted is for the pre war bikes with the internal pull twist grip. Jeff will know what type you need I'm sure. There's quite a nice picture on page 52 of O&M's book. Need a spy glass though. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Oops.. sorry, thought the KM20 had the type I posted.

So although the picture shows a thicker prewar one with internal twistgrip, the 1940 WD M20 should have the same type with the AMAL text and pattern but the left side smaller in diameter.

You must have a different edition of O&M, Ron. Mine shows a half naked man on a Welbike on page 52.

I will contact Jeff Hunter, thanks a lot. Michiel

The type with the oval Amal logo seem to be an earlier pattern although they have turned up with WD labels on - the question is though, for which bikes were they supplied ?

Hunter's suggested to me that a '39 - '40 bike should probably have what they refer to as 'late Amal' which is a similar pattern but doesn't have the central logo - just a small manufacturer's name around the edge.

They will want to know what length you require - the twistgrip barrels can vary by 1/2" or so - There is probably only one correct length but it's difficult to pin down.

It's probably fair to say that the rubbers were no more drawn from the stores on a first in - first out basis than the forks and engines were so there is a good chance that both types could have appeared from time to time. If you fit what you like the look of, I don't think that many rivet counters will be able to say that its wrong.

I can't see the central logo on any period photos of wartime production, even when enlarging or with a magnifying glass but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. The picture that Ron refers to is on page 39 of the first edition of O&M but not so closely cropped.

Hi Rik.

I will go for the ones without the oval logo and measure the length needed. Also received a few pictures from an early M20 from Henk and found the picture Ron referred to, no oval logo, I would say.

Thanks for your thoughts, Michiel

I seem to recall standing outside an estaminet on the Belgian/French border on a rainy evening with Jan and Lex while they discussed an early rubber that may have had an RE part number but I don't really trust my memory very much these days.

I went for the later version but I'm open to correction.

Photobucket

These are the rubbers that I used. Neither of the throttles are actually the one I used as they're not correct for Nortons. Anyone want to buy some 1" twistgrips ? I think that the lower is Matchless.

Yes Rik. I'll email you. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Rik
I seem to recall standing outside an estaminet on the Belgian/French border on a rainy evening with Jan and Lex while they discussed an early rubber that may have had an RE part number but I don't really trust my memory very much these days.

Rik, your memory is excellent!!

Early Enfields certainly used those rubbers, as I had some in a box marked that way.

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1