Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kickstart position

Hi all

Sometime ago I changed the kickstart spring & return rubber, re-assembled & off I went

However recently I noticed that the kickstart in its resting position is much further back towards the tool box compared to others I have seen

More of a 10 o clock position than 11 o clock

I have looked a pictures of my bike before I did this work & it's the same but most others I have seen are further forward in line with the middle of the oil tank approximately

What have I done wrong ??

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Kickstart position

Probably nothing John, the quadrant settles into the rubber after a while, then it should sit at the right angle. The only other thing it could be is that your kickstart is twisted slightly or the shaft where the cotter pin sits is slightly worn and it then naturally wants to sit further back. can you push the kickstart further forward on the shaft? If so it may indicate that the shaft is worn where the cotter pin sits

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Or you may have a pre war quadrant..some of those had the cotter pin groove in a different position in relation to the quadrant gear but are otherwise the same....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I have seen kickstarts with bicycle cotter pins in which don't quite fit and allow the kickstart to move on the shaft.

Cheers Pat

Hi folks

Thanks for the good info

The kick start is straight but the shaft area where the pin sits is worn, although I had thought not by enough to make that much of a difference

Despite this, there is no slack or forward movement of the kickstart - it's all tight

Unless its a Pre war quadrant, it seems I might be best replacing it at some point

When I rebore the bike at a later stage this year, it will be difficult to create a good swing to overcome the higher oppression expected with the kickstart set so far back

Thanks all, must check russell motors stock

Best regards

Jo'b

Hi John...If your talking to Russells can you find out if they have the quadrant and bush and if so how much?...thanks...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Will do Ian

I have a new bush somewhere here and I know that came from Les

Job

hi john,just a thought,have you put the cotter in the right way ? if you turn it round ,ie the nut at the opposite end it is now you may find a difference.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1