Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 information wanted

I have just picked up my first ww2 bike from Ed in Colchester. It is a restoration project but most of it is there , looks to have been in a war, and by the looks of it lost . Is there anyway to find out any history on the bike like what unit it went to. I think it is a 1941 with the chassis number wm20 51086 with an earlier engine number wm 7144. Any info will be gratefully recieved. Jeff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92675540@N03/8423376807/in/photostream

email (option): m90disco@fsmail.net

Re: WM20 information wanted

Jeff, keep us informed on your restoration. It's unlikely that you'll find any of your bikes military history though. We'd all like to know that. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Jeff, based on the differing numbers, your bike has probably been through the rebuild system. Your engine is quite early and based on the photo, it wouldn't be viable to recreate the specification of such an early contract.

Henk will probably be along shortly to confirm exact date of despatch of your frame. I'd guess some time in late 1941. It would originally have carried census number C4560595. This is the closest photo that I can find :-

If the bike survived in the post-war system long enough then there may be a record of post-war service in the 'Key Cards'. Otherwise, your only hope is that careful flatting of the components may reveal some markings, as it appears that someone has done with the fuel tank....the tank may not have started life with the frame though.

You can see where someone has rubbed down the tank to see the numbers. There is definitely two sets of numbers present, i will do some more rubbing and see what I can make out.Can you tell me where you get access to the keycards you mention. Thanks for all the other information supplied.

email (option): m90disco@fsmail.net

There should be someone along shortly Jeff. Several people have access to a database.

If not then start a thread titled as a Keycard Info request tomorrow then they'll be sure to see it.

Nieuwe pagina 1