Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
XB31 crankcase breather

Thought I would bring out my restored XB31 after many years gathering dust in the shed.
I put 65 miles on her this morning.
I have oil splattering out constantly from the breather located under the timing cover.
I also have a breather at the back of the LHS crankcase with the pipe routed to the top of the secondary chain for oiling.
My first thoughts are that maybe I have the wrong timing cover fitted to my early engine.
Can some-one shed some light if I'm correct or not.
Thanks Keith

email (option): keithatkinson@hotmail.com

Re: XB31 crankcase breather

You should only have one between the two main bearing on the crankcase, not on the timing cover.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Thanks Henk for your reply. Really good.
I have one or two timing covers somewhere, so I'll fit the correct one, and that's one more problem out the way.
Keith

I have some timing covers, all are #65-1919.
Some have no hole or boss at all for the breather, some have a boss, ready to make a hole, some have a both.
Some have the winged BSA logo, some have plain BSA letters. Hmmm.
I see in the parts list for early B31 timing covers, is part # 65-1918.
Thanks to Henk, at least I know that my engine doesn't have a breather in the timing cover.
regards Keith

They are pretty little motorcycles.

Henk

BSA XB31 photo DSC00216.jpg

Hi Henk..I notice the kickstart appears to bend forward slightly...Is that standard for this model?....I found one the other day in the loft of my workshop which looks the same...maybe I know what it's off now? ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian,

I am not sure about the early B31 but I know for a fact that post war C10/C11 bikes had that type of kick starter crank.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Yes they are pretty looking bikes for sure. There is some pictures on the forum somewhere.
Mine feels a bit small for my 95+ kgs, but the engine hauls my fat g**s around a lot quicker than my WLA.
Performance of these old bangers is always limited by the suspension.
65/70 mph no problem, but sometimes with white knuckles.
I'm tempted to up the 17tooth engine sprocket a bit.
I think it will pull 65 mph easily, but with less revs.
I see in the Draganfly catalogue the winged BSA logo illustrated for the #65-1918 !946/48 timing cover.
I don't want to replace the one I have fitted.
I went to a lot of trouble to polish and also paint in the recessed logo to match the color of the tank ect.
I blanked off the disc/flapper valve, and I will try to make a slim plug 5/8 x 20 NSC when I can.
My kick start lever sits back a bit from the vertical.
Rego soon/sell the car.
Thanks Keith

Hi Kieth..The Draganfly information is incorrect in this case. The 'winged' timing cover was introduced for the 48 model year...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Regarding the timing cover breather, you should make sure the hole in the breather tube faces outwards so oil splash doesn't find it's way out. you can achieve this by using different thickness washers until it tightens in the right direction for the hole. Photobucket

Ian Wright
Hi Henk..I notice the kickstart appears to bend forward slightly...Is that standard for this model?....I found one the other day in the loft of my workshop which looks the same...maybe I know what it's off now? ...Ian

It needs a new kick-start stop rubber, I have replaced it years ago or one that wasn't very good quality. I have some original rubbers but haven't replaced it yet again.

The kick-start should be leaning a little to the rear of the bike.

Henk

Nieuwe pagina 1