The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M24

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Re: M24

Those engine numbers are fake to my opinion.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I'm inclined to agree Henk. Too modern, too sharp and not deep enough for the period....Plus the number doesn't appear in the production records...

Registered on the M24 website.

He's polished the cases so deeply he probably had to restamp the no's.

Engine number is definitely re stamped because these are not KM24 crankcases. Possibly most of parts are from other models.

Kalle

Hi Kalle, how can you tell the difference?...Ian

email (option): Ian Wright

KM24 should have breather on the left side just like M20.

there is a spacer between the crankcase and barrel

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

"Fresh Rebuilt Motor" - wrong piston?

Hi Kalle...There's nothing like missing the obvious.. ..I should have spotted that straight away as I had the WB30 which has the same crankcase breather..So it's restamped early postwar B31 crankcases...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Well that is not the correct type face, Its a very common blunder to use a type face without Serifs.

Kalle also pointed out a 39 should have the breather although its possible it could be a re stamped M24 drive side case from 1938 which didn't have the breather (it is located down further off the back of the mains housing, & they moved it because like happened to me recently, the oil can come out too easily).
To be fair though the original cases simply might have had a rod through them.
The piston options were high & very high & as advised I actually run the slightly lower compression M23 piston in my M24 engine which suits pump fuel.
The added compression plate on that may well be for the same reason.
I like them alot but theres an enormous amount of parts should be chrome on that, chaincases.oil tank.brake plate.fuel tank ETC & when I see a valuable bike like that "restored" so cheaply & incorrectly it sadens me a bit.

edit.

Oh & hes got the wrong top yoke like me : D

Having said all that, its not like the bike is up for top money...

That is the reason for my posting, I thought the price was not going anywhere if it were the genuine article.

The oil tank cap is a litle strange it is a bit to high I think my self it is home made .But it is a nice bitsa . I do not think it is sold as a very original M24 Gold Star . But if you only have an engine wat you must do with it Make it a complete motorcycle where you can ride on. Gr. Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Yes the oil tank is likely a later type thats been adapted for the early screw cap. obviously its not being marketed as original & I fully agree if you have some of an M24 its better to make a bike out of it. I would be a hypocrite otherwise as I done that myself.
But thats one thing.
Bit different to advertise a potentially £20,000 model with 2 closeup pics of an obviously re stamped engine number : D
That doesnt make it ride better

I guess anyone who picks up a top end for any Gold Star is going to make a bike out of it...I certainly would..It does seem a bit pointless restamping obviously incorrect crankcases as M24 ones though....Ian

Yes, barrel and head makes Gold Star. I believe he could make almost same money when he would sell only head and barrel. OK, half of it.

This bike sold on ebay a few years ago for $4551.00 US

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Hi Neale, thats cheap. I wouldn't sell my head barrel for that. . my barrel is still on standard bore also : )

If the owner had stamped the cases "JM24" with the correct stamps the ruse may have worked. heres what the 38 M24 cases look like;

In today's market some might regard it as cheap, but at the time it was about right for what it was.

re ruse:
Yes, but the 39KM24 top end he's got is very different to 38JM24 top end, so it'd still be a mongrel.

re your engine:
Hard to read number, is that 263?

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Interesting (if I am interpreting the posts correctly) that the 1938 M24 has the breather from the main bearing housing and the 1939 M24 has it from just below the barrel as on the M20.
The 1940 B29 and early WB30s also had one in the 'M20' location and one in each rocker cover. My later WB30 (1942) also had a breather in the 'M20' location, plus another in the timing cover and one in each rocker cover!...and the 1945-7 B31 had a single breather back in the bearing housing again. However, that was relocated for 1948 (for the last time) to the timing cover...where there were three versions and two valve types..It seems BSA were having trouble determining the optimum location for the breather and the number and type required..Excessive oil loss from the breather is a recurring theme and was certainly what led to its removal from the bearing housing and the modifications carried out once it was located in the timing cover. Strange though, that having discovered in 1938 that a 'bearing housing' breather passed too much oil it was reintroduced in that location on the B31 engine 7 years later?....Ian

Ian, yes they never quite found a perfect fix for breathing did they, even on late twins they kept changing breathing on certain models & on my unit single its again different to other years.

Neale, thats not my engine... its identical to mine though, I just happened to have that picture on file.
yes its true that my 38 barrel has the 2 hole tappet cover & slightly different shaped head than the 39 bikes but ive seen a few with wrong year heads & barrels & considering the rarity I dont see that detail as making a bike that wrong as for example BSA would've supplied the 39 type as replacement for 38 bikes needing replacements after the war when they made a few more for export.

On the rockerbox cap there some extra breaders too on my 1940 M23 On My M22 1937 there is only an air valve bihind the scockabsorber and non on the rockerbox cap The 38 special I have made an extra in the tappet cover I do wonder how make the Groupo Velox in Italy Olmost a half Gold Star from a M20 They are olso not original ones . Bud i can not remember where the air breaders where placed ?? Gr Theo

Damn, from where do you get these engines, my JM24 frame is crying for one:(

Examples of the JM21 not the JM24 as kept in my inventory. Barrel and head in the mail. How different are these from the JM24? They look similar in design. Klick on photo to expand to full size.

photo IMG_0263_zps5173e2d2.jpg photo IMG_0260_zps161100f6.jpg photo IMG_0264_zpsacd09b2e.jpg

Don't know for sure but castings are same differently machined, side valve engines have different barrel bolts and vertical tappet guides. OHV have tappets on angle. Am I right?

37 & 38 (H & J) M20 21 22 23 24 are all the same crankcases .. JM24 is internally polished.

Edit .. just saw your post Kalle. I meant the casting is the same ... not sure on tappet detail, im fairly sure they are the same ie ..all upright.

Heres mine on the dining room table last year ...

On the WB30/B29 etc. and post war overhead valve engines the cam followers are at a slight angle in the crankcases (to point the pushrods towards the rocker arms.) I would imagine the Goldie followers are the same.. The sidevalve ones are vertical. Also there are studs to hold the barrel down on the sidevalve but the two part head bolts on the OHV models. These are a different thread and on different centres to the SV studs.Also the studs are fitted to the OHV models to hold down the pushrod tube/barrel depending on the model.
The connecting point for the oil drain from the head is also not machined in the sv cases..In the 'raw state' they would have been the same....Ian

Ian, yes your right of course they do angle I can see now from the pushrod angles. so same castings then ... but if you want a straight replacement use m22 or M23

An other qestion that i have the drive side of the 37-38 M types have an other Primary Chaincase they have one bearing on the drive side and the case do not fit with a later M20 case I think even the front is different they have a 6 spring clutch i do not know if they all have it. Bud the dent for the clutch is smaller so one spring clutch cover came to the chain case. May be some one will chance these older one for a M20 case Greating Theo

Hi Theo, well 37/38's do have 2 bearings drive side but they are closer together.
They "outrigged" the outer bearing from 39 resulting in the differences you observed.

Nieuwe pagina 1