Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Damaged Thread Leak from Carb Body

Hi

Foolishly I thought I'd investigate a slight leak from the base of the carb. What I've found is that the thread is damaged and it looked as if something a bit glue like might have been put on the body / union nut to attempt to overcome the problem.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for "recovering" or otherwiser fixing this that doesn't involve a whole new carb? The alloy body I'm guessing won't really fix well, so maybe the previous approach of a petrol hard glue is the way to go... :-/

I'm based in Singapore, just about to get the M20 on the road after importing, and getting LTA approval, so I can mail order parts from all over the world, or can try to get some luck with the local Malaysia Classic and Vintage Bike scene, but that spans a big area!

email (option): dickie.bobbie@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Damaged Thread Leak from Carb Body

That is pretty brittle material but on my own carburettor I managed to stretch the material little making it big enough to just take the nut firmly again. I stretched it by gently pressing a big steel ball, slightly bigger then the inside of the carburettor, in to the opening of the carburettor body. I rotated the body on the ball and gently put some pressure on it again and again.

I did this years ago and I still use the carburettor, but stretch it to much and it will break for sure.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk

Excellent idea. I'll order a gasket set and give that a try. It can do no harm after all and with care a great deal of benefit. Will let you know how I get on

If it doesn't work I am pretty sure that I have a good carburettor body for you.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Henk

Thanks, I think the option of the replacement body would be a good back-up plan, as the thread isn't going to last on the one I have. I'll email you to ask about this.

Thanks

Richard

Nieuwe pagina 1