Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Web site picture

Hi,
what's that BSA in the foreground, a M23 ?

Re: Web site picture

I think you are wright i do not know if they used the M22 olso. There must be a picture where you can see it much better maybe Henk have one Gr Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

I have the original of this photo...The BSA in the foreground is an M24 Gold Star, cunningly disguised to look more 'ordinary' by having the head and barrel painted black. This is one of three photos I bought that show one of the Army teams in Germany before the ISDT was cancelled..No 16Hs for the ISDT team either!.(is the Norton a Model 18?)..Fairly unusual pictures...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

All the uniformed men in the photo are from the Royal Tank Corps, I wonder how they got on in WW2? Has anyone researched their names?

OK I think...Most of them are known competition riders...or became so later.
In one of the photos is the BSA competitions manager, Bert Perrigo. The rider on the right is Fred Rist who became a BSA works rider and had a motorcycle shop in Neath, South Wales...I have identified some of the others but I'll have to look it up...Ian

This may show slightly more detail if you 'zoom' it...Ian  photo ISDTNorton-1_zps81e1af8c.jpg

I don't think this picture shows the Royal Tank Corps team..but does include elemernts of it. The RTC team were Paddy Doyle, Fred Rist and Jack Wood with Joe Acheson as reserve...All were BSA M24 mounted and oddly they had 'Civvy' spec. bikes (as reserves?) as well as the 'military' spec. bikes shown..Note the consecutive registration numbers on the Goldies..'OG' identifying Birmingham numbers. BSA were issued with 'blocks' of numbers which they applied themselves...'350 BSA' and '500 BSA' are two famous ones which appeared on a number of different works trials bikes......Ian

I was just going on the fact that they are all wearing Royal Tank Corps black berets, have black leather RTC belts and at least two of them have the Tank trade badge on their arms.

Some of them are definitely the M24 equipped RTC team...Maybe there was more than one RTC team?
Riders in the 'Goldie' RTC team were Paddy Doyle, Fred Rist, Jackie Wood and Joe Acheson as reserve rider...This picture was taken sometime before the event...Ian  photo 39team001_zps376c4d0d.jpg

OK..There were three Army teams for the 39 ISDT...
Sgt. M.B.Mackay....Matchless
Sgt. O.Davis.......Matchless
BQMS E. Smith......Matchless

Lt. J.F.Riley.....Norton
Sgt. J.T.Dalby....Norton
Cpl. G.M.Berry....Norton

Sgt. F.M.Rist....BSA
Cpl. A.C.Doyle...BSA
Pte. J.L.Wood....BSA
Unfortunately my info. lists them all as 'Army' teams and gives no mention of unit for the Norton and Matchless teams...The various factories supplied 'works' prepared bikes to one degree or another, BSA providing the latest version of the Gold Star...All the riders were selected after rigorous testing from a larger group and then underwent months of further intensive training..The reason for this was the poor showing by the Army teams in the 38 ISDT..Note the rank of E.Smith in the Norton Group..BQMS..Battery Quartermaster Sergeant.That's a Royal Artillery rank so may be a clue...Ian

I've been looking at the MWEE records and they include the JM24s for the Army ISDT team which briefly went there before being sent on to Chilwell.

EOG 20 was JM24 392 / Engine JM24 369 and EOG 22 was JM24 404 / Engine JM24 365

They arrived in Farnborough on 19/8/1938.

But both bikes are with newer '39 KM engines on the pictures?

Kalle

This is a picture i get as a chrismas card from a frend of my it is a BSA M23 twin port head The M24 as far as i know they never used two port heads. photo BSAm23_zpsb0a0752a.jpg I was verry suprised when i saw this picture I think most of these special bikes where used for ISDT . Bud the picture a while ago with hundereds army bikes i saw olso a B26 . Greatings Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Man,! I love the high pipe on thos isdt,thinking about a replica with my m20,any good photos will help.what color paint?what special accessories? Where can i find a high pipe?
Thx laurent

email (option): 49hrd@sbcglobal.net

And just to add further to the confusion regarding the Gold Stars here's a picture of the 'team' again..this time at Southampton docks about to embark for Europe...Note three of the Gold Stars are 'civvy' models and one is in 'military trim'..so where are the bikes from the other photos?...Ian  photo 39docksisdt001_zpsb212af0d.jpg

I think you may find that each year the ISDT team was given new bikes to use and the registration numbers were simply transferred to the new seasons bikes. Cheers John

Lots of pictures and information on Taffy Isaac's website!

Jan

email (option): wd.register@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1