Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kickstart Bush

I've just had to press out the Kickstart gear quadrant (part 72 on the GA below and the bush (Part 69) is seized onto the shaft.
Should this bush be steel as inserted in my gearbox or should it be Phosphoour Bronze?
 photo BM_gearbox_zpsc4c25952.gif

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: Kickstart Bush

These bushes are made of steel.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I just had to mill a slot in the bush to release it from the shaft as the shaft on mine has pickuped badly, is this common as there is no oil way to lubricate the shaft once assembled, hence I thought maybe someone had replaced this bush with a steel bush and originally it was Phosphour Bronze (self lubricating)?
Not sure if to machine the kickstart quadrant shaft to a good surface and make a bush to suit or buy new quadrant and bush, will have to start counting my pennies I think?

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Hi Julian...The original bushes were steel, hardened after machining and the finish ground to size in the bore. It is likely that the quadrant will have worn unevenly on the surface that fits the bush as it only moves through an arc in use...If you can machine the quadrant just sufficiently to restore a true surface and then make a bush to suit then a good repair is possible..Otherwise you will probably have to replace both parts to get a good fit...Don't worry about lubrication...You will find that oil makes its way through the bush quite readily!...In fact, if you make a bush you should consider machining an O ring groove into it and fitting a ring to stop it leaking...
Don't put a groove into the quadrant shaft, as that may weaken a very heavily loaded part....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

If you decide to make a nuw bush, make sure its exactly the same size on the outside. Otherwise you may crack your side cover

Thanks for the advice, I've sourced new as although I could of machined the shaft, I realised that the bush would need grinding to suit the shaft after hardening, which I'm unable to do with that accuracy.
I'm surprised this isn't a common problem though for all bikes that have stood for a period like mine.
I applied heat at first, but it wouldn't break the bond, a friend suggested soaking in Cola, but I was worried about the Cola attacking the cast kickstart quadrant.
Anyway, new one ordered and plenty of time now to clean the gearbox casings, can't beieve how much grit I have to remove from the vapour blasters. Once decontaminated I can fit press in the new main bearing and seal.
Will look the business at least and at least I can be happy the repair is honest.
Worth noting that the casings definitely needed the vapour blast to blend in with the engine.

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

There are only a few BSA's around with no play on that bush.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Steel.
Pull it out , put it in a dish of rust desolver and leave it for a weeek

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Hi Julian..It's a fairly common problem when gearboxes are out of bikes and left partially stripped..Less so with complete boxes and never with running bikes....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

This box wasn't apart when I started the rebuild, the shaft is quite badly scored therefore either corrosion has occurred between the bush and shaft else grit has somehow got into the gap, the corrosion had bonded both bush and shaft together, looking at the timing cover before I started the rebuild, I think my bike had a bit of a hard life being abused with little care and very heavy kickstarts, good on it for surviving the test of time, I hope I can give it the care it deserves.
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1