Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Laws for riding in France

Here is an extract from a Norton publication from Ken Dengate about French motorcycle laws. Apparently he lives there. I didn't know about the headlight thing. Ron

photo Scan-130123-0001_zps336d5278.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Laws for riding in France

Yes, it's been like that for a long time Ron. Generally, that rule, which was unpopular with the French, is routinely ignored by both the population and the Gendarmerie..Also it is legal for a vintage vehicle to have the lighting arrangements it was manufactured with (so Phillipe told me), so a blackout mask and fag end light are OK on that basis.
Note that the info. on dayglo for motorcyclists is now out of date as the new French government thought better of it and scrapped it's planned introduction....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

OK Ian So that means I can forget about most of this nonsense and still have a drink at Whiskey O'clock. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Indeed Ron! One for me too please.

We are being part of a WW2 related event where other traffic rules apply.

Regards,

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

I dont think they could catch us anyway on them bmws

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

The writer of that letter to the NOC magazine has subsequently advised on the club forum that he sent a correction once the information changed but that it didn't make the press deadline.

I did some checking on the headlight thing and have discovered that the law came into force in 1975 and only applied to motorcycles registered from 1965. This would pretty well exempt most dynamo-equipped machines, I think.

On this basis, no wartime WD bike needs to display lights during the daytime. Even quite early bikes in France seem to have largish rear reflectors so I suspect there is a rear reflector requirement.

Apparently too, even visitors helmets should have reflective tape on...but they can't touch your licence so it's probably just a matter of accepting any fine as an extra tourist tax.

My understanding is that if your wear a helmet in Marseille, the police stop you as they think you are up to something!

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

the PAD junctions sound confusing does it mean thay you treat them like mini roundabout also if some of them are not marked so you slow because you are not sure its a PAD or not could cause an accident the locals know where they are and dont slow down and about radar devices does this mean my satnav is band as it warns me of speed limits

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1