Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dip switch type

We have had this discussion before. But is one these the type dip switch for a 16H/Big4. they are Lucas LU31482 & LU31482A. Both available repro for 7/8" bars.
My bars are 1" if anyone can help with info. Ron

photo ww10112_zpsa471db67.jpg

photo ww10111-1_zps2b40984f.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: Dip switch type

Ron,

The top one is the post war version the bottom one the pre war and war version. I think you might find that they will fit 1" bars as well

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Leon, could you please document that, there was a while ago, on the Prewar AJS-Matchless Yahoo list a lot of messages that said the opposite is true, the rounded lever prewar, and the longer squarish type postwar.

Please let me know,

Confused Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

I've got the top rounded lever one on my Matchless and the dealer I bought it from assured me this one was the pre-war/wartime one.

I have a feeling that neither of them are completely correct. Pre-war Nortons utilised combination control lever clamps and were fitted with a dip switch that screwed directly to the handlbars. As far as I can tell from the best image I have, it seems to have had more of a plain toggle than the 'bishop's mitre' shape of lever. However, it may be that both shapes were available.

There is photographic evidence of early war bikes using the clamp-on type switch but they seem to be a more oval form of switch and to have a small thumb lever with a ridged edge (this type of lever is commonly seen on the chromed combination dip/horn pattern switches).

The 'mitre' shaped switches turn up occasionally as NOS as well as pattern but with 1970s looking vinyl coated wiring. The reason for this is that they were used for operating the two-tone horns and blue lamps on Norton Commando Interpols. The Lucas part number given was 31482.

Ron, if you look at page 38 of Gavin Birch's book with a magnifying glass, you can see the switch that looks more like a post-war dip/horn...

Bakelite switches are something which probably lasted about a week on a WD bike and I doubt if there are many 1930s bikes where it is known for certain that all switchgear is original. I think that you'll be pretty unlucky to be picked up by a hostile rivet-counter. (Lex and I are friendly so that's two that you don't have to worry about).

Not so sure Rik. Lex always tells me when I'm wrong Anyhow I need a 1" dip switch.Ron

Ron,
I bought the lower dipswitch NOS from Mark Upham for my Norton, I'm sure he had more than one at 60GBP.
Cheers,
Kostas

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Mine came from him too, on an eBay 'second chance' - a bit less than £60 at the time though.

The angular one looks earlier to me - the rounded one has a 1960s look but that doesn't mean that it is. Knowing Lucas, it's quite possible that they superseded and then later went back to the original moulding.

Is this for the RAF Big 4, Ron?

Rik,

Let's keep it to the "post' combination levers eara, that's what Ron has, so no need to confuse things more now.

Have sent Ron 2 wartime (about 1941) images of the dipswitch, if he likes he can post them here.

But they are the bakelite ones, and one with the triangular lever, and one with the longer squarish type.

Cheers,

Lex

Ron Pier
Not so sure Rik. Lex always tells me when I'm wrong Anyhow I need a 1" dip switch.Ron

Only trying to be honest!!!

Anyway, I only say that when I'm 100% sure.

Cheers,

Lex

the VMCC sell them i dont know the price as i dont have a catalogue at the moment but i dont think they were £60

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks Roger, will check it out. Here's a nice picture from Lex. Ron

photo Image13_zps03bd4a65.jpg

Lex, I do feel that the shape of the toggle on the pre-war switches (even if the clamp is different) could contribute to the whole story. To be honest, I don't know what Ron's up to at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if he had JMK 783 on the workbench !

Do you reckon the knob on the photo that Ron's posted is the squared-off 'Bishop's Mitre' type ? The more I stare, the less I can see.

I'd like that type to be correct for 1940/41 'cause it's what I've got but I wouldn't be offended if you told me it was wrong !

once, i bought a NOS wartime 6 inch headlamp and a complete harness attached to it from Henk. i say wartime because apart from the matt green colour it had half of the reflector painted matt black like those which used the manila paper blackout. attached to the harness it had the bottom half of dip switch of the sharp, angular type. Henk often uses this item as a reference here especially when wiring is discussed. it is a bit of a paradox, a 6 inch headlamp with a half painted reflector like the older 8 inch ones......either there were 6 inch headlamps in the early war years or the hooded blackout demanded half painted reflector too. to add with the confusion, the reflector on this headlamp has the opening for the ammeter illumination as well,just like early ones....
i seriously doubt that the dip switch was changed on this one.

Some of the smaller bikes always had the 6" headlamp, didn't they ?...Let's see Henk's photo !

Yes Sir. Take a look at the orange rubber between the switch panel and the headlamp shell also.

Henk

photo Wiringloom01_zpsc0ac413e.jpg

photo Wiringloom02_zps1299eee5.jpg

photo Wiringloom03_zps560105e2.jpg

photo Wiringloom04_zps89701079.jpg

photo Wiringloom05_zpseb66fa24.jpg

photo Wiringloom06_zps5994946e.jpg

photo Wiringloom07_zpse4c53825.jpg

photo Wiringloom08-1_zpsd83f599f.jpg

photo Wiringloom09-1_zpsd20bfea7.jpg

photo Wiringloom10_zpsb1aef4e9.jpg

photo Wiringloom11_zps69a2cc76.jpg

photo Wiringloom12_zps89df21cc.jpg

photo Wiringloom13_zps25392a93.jpg

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

That's bang-on Henk ! Paper parts-ordering label on the reflector too. I'm convinced.

What's the date on the ammeter ?

I can't remember the date on the ammeter, we need Clive for that.

Why did I ever sell that headlamp?????

Henk

Henk
I can't remember the date on the ammeter, we need Clive for that.

Why did I ever sell that headlamp?????

Henk

Gierige Hollander ?

That Lucas part number might be in the VAOS of a WD/C or 3SW which might help pin down the date.

The colour doesn't look like KG No.3.I'm more inclined to think that it's the 1939 dull (bronze) green

I don't recognise JMK 783 Rik? I just got round to fitting one of the B4 handlebars that I had copied from an original. I now have a hankering to dump my combined horn/dip switch for something more correct. No problem with the horn push as I have a couple. But need that dip switch with the Bishops hat lever.

Ron.

Hi Ron...You should get a replica from Britbits no problem and they do look OK...Both types are replicated....(though I know you'll probably hang it out for a NOS example... ). I got mine from the Czech boys for the B30, though I chose the rounded one because I liked it more.....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Rik, Henk, the ammeter dates from september 1939, is that enough? i have scanned the label on the reflector and we can make a billion copies if anyone on the forum is interested.

If only I could Ian. Seems they only make them for 7/8" bars.....But I'm still looking. Ron

Here's another 1941 shot of a dipswitch, this seems to be the most used after the chrome top one (that screws directly to the handlebars, and is for the combination levers only)

But dont worry Ron, I also have one picture with a bakelite Miller dipswitch fitted, the big round one, with half round metal rear clip, with the lighthouse logo on it!

I'm trying to find the AJS Matchless conversations that said the round knob was prewar, and the Bishops thingy postwar, but no luck yet.

Cheers,

Lex

OK, found it! seems that all types could have been used from 1938 onwards, maybe earlier, but have no proof of that.

Here a page from an 1938 Halfords catalog:

So, Ron, just pop down to your local Halfords, and buy one!! (while you're at it, clear them out, I can use one too!)
Cheers,

Lex

PS, they even had that horrible "Foreign" stuff back then!!

Rik
To be honest, I don't know what Ron's up to at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if he had JMK 783 on the workbench !

Rik, I seem to be the only one with a Big 4 from JMK 783 contract, or the contract just after. (1939)

Cheers,

Lex

Henk, doesn't that M20 prototype photo show the longer-type arm?

email (option): rays54@hotmail.com

Fascinating stuff.

Its interesting that the bottom right one in Lexs ad says its "Foreign", I wonder if they were still being imported after the start of the war?

Here is a similar one with a combined horn button, 3 of which I obtained with some other military bits, I had been assuming it was late or just postwar perhaps from the period when blackouts were removed?

The clamp on the back is just wide enough for 1" bars but with it fully tightened it would grip 7/8" bars.

Rob

photo switch_zps601d4875.jpg

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Ray
Henk, doesn't that M20 prototype photo show the longer-type arm?

photo dipswitch_zpsa60ce4d4.jpg

photo J003_zps19918c6f.jpg

I got a reply from Jiri in CZ today. He makes replicas in 7/8" and 1". According to him the Bishops hat type is Post war. Not sure he's correct. But at least they are available and beautifully made. Ron

http://www.vintage-replica.cz/216.E.htm

Nieuwe pagina 1