Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Restoration of BSA M20 C4560231

Certainly not a pure restoration but it has come a long way from what I started with. Based on the frame number, the motorcycle was produced on 10 DEC 1941. I decided to restore it with the mid-war modifications including the longer side stand, pannier frames, horn moved forward and smaller headlamp. Rear seat isn't exactly correct but it's what I had so I went with it for now. Rubber fittings and the lack of a blackout mask on the headlamp are for driving safety issues on the road.

Markings are for the 1st battalion, The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire light infantry which was part of the 53rd Welsh Division at the time of the Normandy landings. The 2nd battalion was part of the 6th Airborne division. 1st was straight leg infantry and they didn't fight alongside each other even though they shared ground in the same region.

The two shots showing the motorcycle in rattle can camouflage are how it came to me. I had access to a non-running wrecked ’44 model and was able to swap a few of the needed wartime parts over to my project while I was fixing the wreck up for resale after getting it running. Allowed me to offset most of my costs while netting some rare parts I likely never would have found over here in the USA. The frame and most of the small parts are powder coated. Everything else including parts needing body work were painted with my normal spray gun and compressor. Being a naturally glossy color, everything had to get a coat of matt clear which sure complicated the process. Census number and unit markings are all hand painted which is how I prefer my restorations. A lot less perfect but closer to how they would have been during the war in most cases.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

Re: Restoration of BSA M20 C4560231

That is changed in to a great looking motorcycle, well done David.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Great looking bike! Well done! Hopefully you can make it to Normandy in 2014.....

Regards, Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Nice David. Tipped up silencer and all!! You could buy one of Jan's excellent pillion saddles. To my mind it would finish it perfectly. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

A very nice bike indeed

Well done

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Great results from your efforts...another one saved!...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

A proper job,well done!
Looking at the first picture- i knew the emissions laws in the U.S. where stricter than U.K. but i've never seen a cat on an M20 before. Mick.

Very nice David. Is that an NOS saddle cover or a new replica ?

I think the previous owner was using the cats to keep the oil from dripping to the ground. They appear to be good at wiping it off the bottom of the machine.

I have an original skid plate which I haven't reinstalled yet. Had to pull it off while I was resolving the oil return problem. The paint came after a recommendation from Hans who posted photos of his restoration. It is RAL6014 with the matt clear on top since I think all RAL shades are gloss. The tipped up silencer is from Armourers. Note the dent/scrape on the side as was discussed in another message thread where numerous people had the same problem with them. Damage done on the first hard kick start unfortunately.

Not sure on the history of the saddle covers. I removed them for stripping and painting the frames. Added new springs which I sourced in Australia and then put the covers I had back on after cleaning them up. They are old but I would be surprised if they are original wartime production since the threads would probably be giving out by now. Also had tossed around the idea of one of Jan’s reproduction pillion seats but had already finished this one when I saw his announcements. Figure I’ll stick with this one for now since it isn’t a show vehicle.

email (option): dgordon4@austin.rr.com

Hi david another nice resto,another saved,like the matt clear too.dont know much about numbering ,reckon it could be close to my contract c-3910, [4556498] see visitors bikes.just wish i could find more history. cheers adrian.

email (option): cruiser3@icisp.net.au

The second picture shows the cat after cleaning the bottom of the engine.......
Great bike!

Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Wow!

Cinderella?

Super job!

Bruce

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Well done indeed.
It is great to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Super job

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

I'm no expert on BSA (or anything else for that matter!) but I think that is a terrific looking motorcycle! Well done.

Beautiful job, hope I can do my bike the same justice that you have managed to achieve here, the attention to detail is fantastic.
Well done and hope you have some great days ahead.
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Fantastic looking bike, great job

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1