Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wdm20 model

howdy boys long time since ive been here and wish you all a happy new year. i,ve been wondering if anyone knows of a quality decent size wdm20 model.my better half wont allow mine inside the house so i may have to seek an alternative . p.s Ian hows progress on the m20 sprinter. I still thinking of building a m20 period 2 racer,just time and budget make for slow progress.cheers all keep up the goodwork ,new websites great too.

email (option): cruiser3@icisp.net.au

Re: wdm20 model

Hi Adrian..'time and budget make for slow progress' has a familiar ring as it's usually one or the other holding things up. I now have all the expensive bits for the engine, one off cams, one off piston, one off conrod, one off valves (thanks to Jeff Bandola there), magneto rebuilt and am partway through various bits of machining work on 'bottom end' parts,(crankcase, crank and timing cover mods) so a build up as far as the head isn't too far away. Likewise I'm partway through making the alloy petrol tank and oiltank. I have everything ready to assemble the gearbox and have just completed mods to the gearbox cases.
I have the drive side complete and have more or less finished the mods to the inner and outer clutch casings. I've made the new front and rear engine/gearbox plates.
Next thing is to get the front wheel built (it took me a while to find the hub I wanted) and to get it up on its wheels...then I can complete the mods to the frame...yep,there's plenty to do.
However, I am planning to devote more time to the project this year as I want to 'move it along' so should make a lot more progress through the spring and summer...
As virtually nothing on the bike is a standard 'bolt on' part there is a fair bit of 'buggeration' to get through....I'm enjoying it though!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Adrian i wonder how fast can a M20 go maybe you must make it with M21 crancks here you find much infomation about this item. I biuld myself a racer 1938 gider fork low budget bud it must be a lookalike 1930 racer no disck brakes etc. A frend of my has a liberator racer who going verry fast about 180 KM ph Bud with a big brake on the front of his springer fork brake down. He wants to make it 900cc and it hase a four speed gearbox on it. My bike is for 99 procent BSA and most pre war. The mudruard on the front i get for free and on the back for 25 euro. The most expensive item was the petrol tank if you must buy it now bud it was for 25 years in my shed. Greating Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Hi Theo..Fastest M20 to date that I'm aware of is Pat Jeals at 112mph.(180.24 kph)..Ian

i dont know whether any of you saw the two part program about world speed records at bonneville salt flats it showed 5 amateur builders though their bikes looked professionally made all of them hoping to beat their class records one was a 70 year old indian it only managed somewhere near 89 mph and the others got nowhere near their records either they werent fast enough or mechanical faults

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi ian thanks for the great update ,ive been wondering for a while now how you have been going and progress sounds great ,and i reckon a bloke of your talent would have chose the 1 off parts well.I will try and stay in touch with your build. i,m still in the planning stages with mine,We had a fairly major set back about 18 months ago and have been busy rebuilding since we got hit with a freak tornadoe that removed 2 of my shed roofs and a lot of stonework and flattened my larger shed and spread there contents for hundreds or meters around and what was to heavy to shift received 2 inches of rain, add trees house and fences yep we been busy. But at least my pride and joy {M20} and some of my equipment survived.back to the racer and yeh i,m bit like theo in wondering how fast 1 would go, to be honest though if i could acheive an honest 100mph i,d be happy with that.Had thought about stroking with m21 flywheels and lightening to somewhere around m20 spec just a bit iffy as far as i know these were all cast items and although it wouldn,t be that high in revs dunno.One of my biggest hurdles is i,ve never had much to do with s/v engines and their asmatic combustion chambers and porting ,did consider forced induction but thats not within the rules. However i have picked up a copy of phil irvings tuning for speed, and although fairly light on s/valve info it has shed a fair bit of light on some of greyer areas and now at least i think ive worked out a reasonable plan.and yeh put the frame on a fairly healthy diet and who knows,If i get together and whatever happens i,ll still love me little side valves. cheers Adrian.Ps ian your help and ideas a long while back add to the recipe .Thanx

email (option): cruiser3@icisp.net.au

Hi Adrian...Seems to me your target has to be to exceed the speed set by fellow Ozzie Bill Gough in 1964...He got his M20 up to 104mph...The first M20 recorded at over the 'Ton'. The bike is now in a museum in Tasmania. The 'Ton plus' M20 club is very exclusive, only three members to date I think....Ian Photobucket

Nieuwe pagina 1