Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless Fork Bush Travelling Distance

Hello, In my previous post I had mentioned about various problems I had with my teledraulic fork leg. I had a crack and I was able to weld it.
Now when I insert the fork tube it doesn't reach till the bottom of the leg. The Fork bush 40-G12M-FF191 reaches only till the point where I have marked on the pic, due to metal formation as a result of welding on the outside. So now I am wondering if I should clean this or if the bush would travel that far into the fork leg after I completely assemble it?
Please advise, been working only on the forks since November
Photobucket
J.M

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

Re: Matchless Fork Bush Travelling Distance

I cant see from your picture but just measured mine from where the fork leg screws in to the middle of the inside leg just above the top of your arrow and the bottom of the fixed part is two and a half inches if you apply the front brake and push the forks down the gap reduces to one and a half inches so this gives a fork travel of one inch thats with oil in the forks. yours looks more than this.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Surely 1" of fork travel can't be correct?...they'd just as well have stuck with the girders which have more travel than that..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

That was in the shed with the front brake on pushing down bye hand on the handle bars with the wife measuring the gap Ian.

stephen forrest
That was in the shed with the front brake on pushing down bye hand on the handle bars with the wife measuring the gap Ian.
just done the same thing on my modern honda it has the same amount of movement

A quick pump on my handlebar shows an inch or so travel whilst on the rear stand and holding the front brake. But in reality I think a lot more travel is encountered on the road. Indian Tim even bent his lower shroud when it came into contact with the mudguard support bolts, which are 3-4 inches down.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

It's not the penetration of the weld restricting it's travel is it? The other things I've come across is that someone may have clamped the slider a little bit too hard in the vice and slightly distorted it

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Thank you so much for the replies, spent some time filing the inner side of the fork leg and think it is just right.....just when I thought everything was fine I had this (Pic Attached).
Is this normal or should the tubes stay in place? The tubes keep falling down even after their top nuts are tightened. Will this be fine if I attach the wheels. even then the tubes will drop....Wont it?
Photobucket
Photobucket

J.M

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

John, that they are hanging down is normal (for a 70 year old bike!! )

Anyway, I would not like a welded lower fork leg, why not buy a new one??

They're 100 euro's and N.O.S. saw it today, the guy, Johan Geertshuis has maybe 2 left, you can contact him on:

geertshuis@zonnet.nl

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi John, I am also encountering the same problem on my G3L. The fork just drops down. I am now quite concerned if it would come out of its place, lets say if I am riding on a very bumpy road?
Is it designed this way? or is it some fault with the set up?

Regards
Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Hi all, I think you will find this is normal, for them to drop down that far, especially when the springs are old and tired, when new springs are fitted the bike's front is a bit higher, and they seem not to drop down as far.

When the bolts in the bottom of the sliders are tight (not too tight, then you'll crush the fiber washer) the fork can never just fall apart!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1